Here's why some people's rear wash/wipe.....

Nice thread, but my rear washer is leaking from the engine bay, near the passenger strut top. Does anyone have any pictures to show me where i should be looking to reconnect the hose?

Thanks in advance!

ok here goes

Freyaxmas2007076.jpg

Freyaxmas2007075.jpg

the connector is next to the white bit, I taped mine together as it didn`t seem to click together very tightly.

They do look much better without it and a glass insert in its place, but i do get fed up of wiping my rear window every couple of days in this weather.

I was just about to ask about a blanking plug.. back gets filthy especially on a white car, but clean it quite often so i think it wouldnt bother me.. Jay, have u got something to cover the hole up, if so where from?

After fixing the hose connection from the engine bay, I’ve now sprung a leak in the rear. The leak is occurring in the left rear panel, near the rear light cluster – what would be the best method to get this fixed, taking the rear bumper off? How easy would that be?

Ha, think yourselves lucky guys!! my wipers have been playing up for a while, coming on on there own and just today found out why. The jet hose that had cracked had leaked on to my electrics and shorted something. I looked in my rear view today and it was smoking and nearly on fire!!! lol. I had to pull over, dismantle the boot lining and unplug the damn thing!! I think i will be purchasing the kit to fix it. Is it form vagparts.com??? will the dealer have them??

SJ

Good fix . I never use my rear wiper so dont think ill bother fixing it ...

Scott - The kit was from Vagparts yeah, but as they're not trading any more you're gonna have to replace the whole motor as the repair kit isn't something the dealers sell.

Update!! I went to Audi bradford who actually got me the wiper repair kit in form milton keynes... was well pleased.. £27 inc vat! Then put it all back together and still smoking to find my motor had broken :( so the repair kit is for sale... its brand new and only tried in mine (didnt even work so still brand new, all greased up for a new home if any ones interested??

Oh and whats the part number for a whole new moter and housing etc?? Will it be on the motor??

SJ

Ok so this may come acroos as being abit retarded but im trying to fix my back washer and ive got stuck :keule:, so here goes:
I tried to remove the rear wiper but unlike HTC's mines this

So i tried to pull it off but that just began to pull the glass aswell, so how do i remove it?
Then i tried to remove the rear inner panel but couldnt, i removed the clips off here off

But do i need to take this cover off? if so how?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Dan

On pic one that is correct, you just flip up the cap and the nuts are underneath

To get the boot panel out, first unscrew the screws in the pull handle (inside boot) then gently but firmly pull the whole plastic down. Its tough and tight but comes with abit of force. I used a screw driver and wrag to prise it down clip by clip starting from one end

The rear wiper cover on mine is solid though unlike HTC's where his has a cap that attachs to the wiper, can you see?

How would i go about removing? Thanks for the help btw

Update, just been out to move the car and thought ill have ago again with the rear washer, held it down for abit and still nothing, got out the car and noticed the drive was soaked, the damn things sprung aleak in the engine bay so looks like the air box out. Is this easy to remove?

Ok so turned out the pipe in the engine bay had come un-coupled so went through the task of putting it back together, got that done :arco: only to then try the rear wiper to find it spitting water, went around the back opened the boot and it had leaked all into ther boot :keule:, managed to get the rear cover off which was a b**ch and now i need a new motor, great fun lol.

great thread guys, but mine leaks from the rear.it seems to collect inside the rear bumper somehow and on pulling out a small rubber gromet out came my screen wash.can any one help with this as i,d prefer not to keep pulling panels off trying to trace it,although that might be the only solution!!!!!!!

Thats exactly what mine did, you have to take the rear boot insert off because the water hose that connects to the rear wiper leaks. Just put afresh jubilee clip on.

Just repaired my rear wiper using this kit. Easy to do, took about 40mins from getting off my backside to having a "job-done" biscuit!

A couple of points of advice for anyone else doing this:

1. When putting the washer fluid pipe back onto the connector on the wiper motor housing, be aware that the fitting on the connector is slightly different on the repair kit. In my case (2003 S3), the new connector had a larger fitting which then split the water pipe when I re-connected it. It's still secure so I've just put a dab of silicone sealant on it, but if I had noticed this I would have kept the original connector in place on the motor housing plate.

2. When removing the interior trim from the boot, start at the corner where it meets the other section of the trim and work your way round. If you just heave on the handle it doesn't budge! Well, not for me anyway.

Hope that helps someone else sometime.

Just to say thanks for all the info in this thread. Just repaired my rear wiper motor/washer jet using the repair kit. Very straightforward. Would never have know about the cause of the problem or that there was an Audi repair kit to solve it if it weren't for this thread!

The hardest part was pulling the wiper arm off, it just wouldn't budge. Had to use WD-40 and pry it off with a screwdriver.

Regarding getting the bootlid trim off I agree with The Doctor above. Start on the side furthest from the boot latch, otherwise you'll get nowhere.

Also, was tempted to do the Polo aeroblade "upgrade" as many mentioned here but I found a cheaper alternative that looks almost as good and works extremely well. The Bosch AR15U aerotwin blade is a 15" aero blade retrofit (fits old style hooks), but it's got a symmetrical cross section so it doesn't look odd on the rear (most aero blades have more 'spoiler' on one side than the other).

Last edited:
Sorry to bring up an old thread!

My rear wiper has stopped spaying water and just leaks through the boot lid, but the motor happily shifts the wiper.

Am I safe to say all I need is the repair kit to fix the issue? Thanks for the assitance and great thread :)

Hi,

Am I safe to say all I need is the repair kit to fix the issue? Thanks for the assitance and great thread :)

Yes you should be fine, I did this last week, get it done sooner rather than later because the one I repaired had rusted and seized up because of the water, it stopped the motor from turning so it was heating up a lot.

I also found I had to remove the plastic wheel and degrease that too.

The repair kits are quite expensive now, i think I just paid £40.

Liam

Hi,

Yes you should be fine, I did this last week, get it done sooner rather than later because the one I repaired had rusted and seized up because of the water, it stopped the motor from turning so it was heating up a lot.

I also found I had to remove the plastic wheel and degrease that too.

The repair kits are quite expensive now, i think I just paid £40.

Liam

Thanks. Audi want £107 for a new motor so £40 is a little better for the repair. I pulled the fuse on the rear wiper as it would go on its own without asking it to via the stalk. Is this due to water ingress around the motor or electrical connection or imminent failure of the motor?

Cheers

[ QUOTE ]
hey htc the water leak you had (stopped by white silicone) did it affect your alarm?

cheers tony

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should mention. Yes it did in a way. The boot clasp rusted a bit causing the boot not to close properly and thus an inability to arm the alarm.

I cleaned it all up a while ago and its fine now.

Hi,

I'm having issues with my rear washer/wiper/boot lock. It appears there's been a leak into the motor and the lock which has affected the sensors for the lock. My car is locked but the sensors think otherwise so after a short while my alarm goes off. I've taken the fuse out for the alarm but the hazards keep flashing. Any ideas how to stop the hazards flashing?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Tony

The repair kit mentioned in this forum: 8L0 998 711

Does anyone know if it is common on other vehicel in the VAG group? would i be able to get it from a VW garage?...or even a skoda garage? They are more local to me than audi is all....and who knows...maybe cheaper.

cheers

Interesting thread!

My rear washer jet doesn't work, never has!

Also with my continuous alarm triggering issues.. this could be why. I will investigate this later today.

HAs anyone had alarm issues combined with this washer problem?

sometimes my rear boot fails to connect and lock when shut (bounces back up when slamming the boot.. requires a few hard slams!

My rear wiper is slowly giving up the ghost too!!

When spraying it was following the wiper, now, im just getting a tiny splurt if that when spraying, although the wiper still moves perfectly.

I did notice the inside of the car was steamed up a fair bit over the Xmas break, so not sure if this was water from the hose or if its getting into the car from somewhere else, as when I checked the rear passenger mat was pretty damp.

So need to look into this and see whats causing the issue.

Mine has never worked either glad this thread popped up I'll have a look when I get the chance. Mine had the pipe split under the air box but still nothing spraying nice to know where to start at the back.

LOL....it is a common problem for the rear washer to stop working and there are a few threads on the net on how to fix it without getting the repair kit.

Checked mine, all is well.

No leaks anywhere or under car after at least a minute activating it (you can hear the pump)

but no rear wiper fluid spraying!

I've got the same no leaks anymore or anything inside or out as far as I can see you can hear the pump and the rear wiper works just no water. It's not something I think I'd use but nice to know it all works!

No leaks anywhere or under car after at least a minute activating it (you can hear the pump)

but no rear wiper fluid spraying!

If you have washer fluid and the pump is working, then that fluid is being leaked somewhere is it not!?

It doesn't just disappear so you must have some sort of blockage and/or leak....it could just be soaking into something which is why it's not easy to see a puddle or a drip :think:

It could be getting soaked up in a footwell or the boot area, probably wont notice it unless you spray it constantly and enough to make a puddle.

I did have a good look and spray when I swapped my washer bottle I was expecting a wet boot after fixing the front leak. My next plan was to get someone to hold it on while I had a listen hopefully I can hear where the water is spraying.

Quick happy update for me! Girlfriend just got back in the S3 so thought I'd nip out and have a quick look at the wiper. I never realized the jet pulled out until today so my attempts to clean it hadn't worked but pulled it out and it's now unblocked and back in action! Ended up being a little easier then planned.

Result!!

Ive just been out and sprayed and tried to unblock the jet, but no joy, I just tried to stick my tiny hands into the sub area and sure enough it is quite wet down there!!

So it looks like the pipe may have come undone there, so thats going to be a fun job!!

Nilz, if the spray is following the wiper then I think you'll also need the repair kit. That's exactly what happened to mine. The brass tube (from memory) then cracks and lets the washer fluid out into the internal area of the boot lid, rather than spraying it onto the rear screen. I didn't have any problem with the pipework connections themselves.

Morning mate, It is following the wiper, however at the mo, im not even getting any water out, so im going to check for the pipe by the sub tomorrow if I can, then attempt the repair.

There is another link showing a workaround, without using the repair kit....

Ill post the link up here, does look pretty good.

Well, I did this fix today with the repair kit. Very simple job BUT since re-attaching the hose to the motor assembly it's leaking water! What a crap design the hose clamp connector is. I've tried a jubilee clip but it still leaked. I then tried silicone sealant but it still leaks. I've now put the world's biggest blob of silicone all over the join and will leave it to to dry over night......let's hope in the morning there's no more leak....

Ironically it didn't leak before I repaired the motor! Argh.....!

I used the cheap repair method as a bit of preventative maintenance. The brass tube had split near the end nothing had leaked into my motor which was nice. I used the plastic tube out of some Tesco shower cleaner it was about £1 had to drill out the hole slightly but all went back together well after that. Added some more grease to the motor whilst it was stripped so all repaired for about £2!