1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here's hoping there is 9 lives

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by filipharvey, Sep 15, 2007.

1. filipharvey

filipharvey Amusing Tagline

[Sep 15, 2007]
    Well, I popped into work this afternoon just to have a look around and make sure everything was ok. As I left the house the cat was playing in the garden so I decided to leave it outside.
    I had just left work when the boss rang up and said we had an alarm at work and that he was going up to check. I then rang him 10 minutes later to find out what it was.
    He was a bit quiet when I rang, and after he had told me what the alarm was, he told me he had seen the car in front of him hit my cat.
    I went home and spent an hour looking for her and couldnt find her anywhere. Then the Mrs and kids came home. I told them what had happened and Mrs burst into tears. We had given up looking for her when Jamie (oldest daughter, 6) came in and said "It wasn't our cat because she is in my play-den!"

I went and had a look and sure enough, there she was, and she had been hit. She had walked back and found somewhere to curl up. I picked her up and brought her back inside, where she is now laying in her basket. She is obviously finding it painful to walk and has quite a bad cut to her leg, but hasnt broken anything.

The sad thing is though, that I just cannot physically afford any vets bills. She was spayed 2 weeks ago after she gave birth to 2 kittens, and that cost over £70. I'm going to monitor her over the next few days, but obviously if its the kindest thing, she will have to be put down.

The Mrs seems to think she is perking up a bit now, but we will have to wait and see. I just can't believe the car that hit her didnt even stop! They must know kids live here!

Sorry for the long post!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. recomdos

recomdos Member

[Sep 15, 2007]
    Hi filipharvey,

Sorry to hear about your cat. I'm an animal lover myself and it's very sad when something like this happens. Years ago I was unfortunate enough to hit a cat (whilst on route to my finals). It was a built up area and I was doing well under 30 when the lil fella jumped out and started running across the road. I swerved as much as possible and thought I was lucky enough to miss him, until my rear driver side wheel 'jumped'. I looked to the passenger wing mirror and seen the cat dart off. I pulled over with my housemate in the passenger seat and ran off to find where he'd gone. He was in shock and meowing in a little bush. A land rover following me had seen what happened and also pulled over. They gave me a blanket and I rushed the cat to the nearest vets - where he was dead on arrival. I was very sad about this, which was amplified a bit by the fact I had not been driving very long. A good friend later in the day pointed out: imagine if it was a child. Something which has stuck with me. I know I've rambled off topic there a bit.

Anyway, I can only imagine your cat is in pain. Through shock it has probably been able to put up with the pain, but surely this will wear off and she could be suffering any internal injury. I really would recommend you try and get her to the vets. If you don't quite have the finances at the minute, then surely they can send you the bill at the end of the month etc. Or could you not kindly ask a relative/close friend for a temporary loan? I can totaly appreciate the lack of funds etc, but she sounds like she's one of the family.

Keep us posted on her.
  4. filipharvey

[Sep 15, 2007]
    Yeh, I've since had a word with my Mum and will take her to the vets on Monday. She is moving about quite a bit now, and she has fed one of the kittens too, without too much obvious discomfort.
  5. Onlyme

Onlyme Member

[Sep 15, 2007]
    Have you not got a pdsa vet centre near you
  6. filipharvey

[Sep 15, 2007]
    To be honest I'm not sure. I'll look into it though.
  7. filipharvey

[Sep 15, 2007]
    Ive had a look at the PDSA website, and it says that I need to be on Council Tax or Housing Benefit to be eligible, which I am not. I've been calling every body I can to try and help out, but my Mum will really only pay if she needs to be put down. I really don't want her to suffer unnessesarily.
  8. treblesykes

treblesykes Member

[Sep 16, 2007]
    my mother once lost a cat, later found it dead at road side , buried it, two weeks later it came for its tea!!! pet cemetry! It was a very distinctive cat and we had never seen its "twin" around before it had its sad accident.
  9. filipharvey

[Sep 17, 2007]
    Took her to the vets this morning. They seemed quite happy with her and say it is possibly only bruising that she has suffered. They have given her some pain killers and we will have to take her back in a couple of days to see how she has progressed.
    Because she isn't putting ALL of her wait on her back legs, they say it is a possibility that she may have dislocated her hip, although as I have said it could quite possibly just be the bruising.
    Their main concern was whether she will be rendered incontinent, in which case she will certainly have to be put down, for her own sake. :crying:
  10. Onlyme

Onlyme Member

[Sep 17, 2007]
    Hopefully everything will be ok Flipharvey, sounds like she will be ok, good luck
  11. nervus

nervus Well-Known Member

[Sep 20, 2007]
    Just seen this thread and hope your Cats okay? I sincerely hope so. I've PM's you!