1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here's a funny one.

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by IrishDave, Sep 11, 2012.

1. IrishDave

IrishDave Active Member

I bought a set of disks from a well known online trader(not a site sponsor) 2 week ago to the day. When I enquired where they were as I am yet to receive them I got this reply from them.
    [FONT=&quot]
    HI[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I have sent you messages explaining why it was not sent , there was a problem on our website and it has not charged you UK vat for some reason , the only way we can send the discs to you is either if you have a valid irish VAT number so don’t have to pay the vat , or if you pay the VAT which is £29.92

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Now it clearly states on their site that the disks are £149.58 tax incl, which is what I have paid and shipping on top of that. So as you can see they will not send the disks unless I pay the extra £22.92 which is bull**** as far as I am concerned because vat has been paid.
    Anyway what do you all think.
    [/FONT]

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!"
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Tell them to refund you and take your business elsewhere.

4. ruffrida

ruffrida Well-Known Member

Yeh i am with Aragorn, get ya cash back and find someone reliable to buy your bits from, i hate this!!

If ya want to take it further, by advertising law they have to adear to what there web site said

5. warren_S5

warren_S5 Moderator

VAT is paid on items at local rates at point of purchase, and then if import taxes are due these are paid to customs at point of entry (as far as I'm aware).

Might be worth mentioning you want to speak to trading standards about it, and ask them to point you in the direction of any smallprint on their website that validates this practice.

If your not happy with their answer I'd follow Aragorn's advice.

6. ruffrida

ruffrida Well-Known Member

This is correct, usually known as import tax, but mostly applies to things coming from out of the EU.

7. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!"

You need to pay both VAT and import duty on items you bring into the UK from outwith the EU.

8. coatesy

coatesy poking badgers with spoons

with you been in Ireland you should look up mtec brakes there based in North Ireland there made to order discs and are good quality

9. Sam_

Sam_ Down under

When items are going out of the EU you don't need to pay VAT. It's been quite handy.

HM Revenue & Customs