Help with tick tick noise from engine

I

imported_ashs3

Noticed it today coming from the right hand side of the car, lifted the bonnet and it is coming from the black box unit (not marked) that is between the coolant reservoir and the washer jet reservoir? It is making fast tick, tick noise which can be felt through the small black pipes, one of these goes to the brake fluid reservoir, it is as if something is being fired through them in bursts, it stops once the engine revs are picked up, say by pressing the throttle, but as soon as the revs die it starts again? Any ideas? did not here it when I picked it up yesterday and was in the car all day.

its normal.

its a carbon filter for the fumes out the petrol tank.

in simplest form it recycles the fumes and burnes them off in the engine.

If it is this, how come it has a pipe going into it form the brake fluid reservoir cap?

Just thought as well, found out today (from the receipt in the car) that when they filled it up with fuel at the dealers, they put in normal unleaded (95 ron) and the users handbook says to run on a minimum of 98 ron (super unleaded) so maybe this is why it is on every time I start the engine, I am on half a tank as well? If so will have to use most of that fuel tomorrow and fill up with my nomal tipple of Optimax.

you can run 95 ron no problems , but higher the ron the better... mine drinks Opimax all the time.

not sure about the pipes you mention, ive never looked..but the ticking is a common quetion and usually is either the carbon canister in that area or the injectors opening/closing.

the 1.8T can sound quite agricutural at times.

Heres a snap from my fuel flap.

the bit circled is the part id expect to be clicking....

the reservoir to the right of it is Powersteering fluid IIRC.

Brake fluid is the yellow cap at top right of pic by bulkhead.

Spot on Paul,thanks.
It is the bit circled, just traced one of the pipes wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif it is dark after all, still no excuses. It is that part circled making the tick and the pipe that I asume carries the fumes runs over the top of the brake fluid reservoir, so when feeling the pipe that houses the electrics I was feeling the vibration from that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Thanks all, was worried for a bit there.

Doesnt the fuel filler say 98 RON - ie does that not mean what you should put in it?

95 ROZ is not 95 Ron right?

Dunc

Was thinking that also, saying that it does say premium at the bottom.

i assume ron /roz is a translation?

check the manual, im sure it says you can run 95, but performance will be reduced, and its better off on 98

I run always run optimax. Made easy by a garage 1 mile from me on the way to work..

Just purchased an S3 and mine does this ticking sound. However it is very loud (I can hear it inside the car), it appears that a very loud ticking also comes from the rear of the engine. This only happens when the Carbon Filter cuts in. Does anyone have any idea what this could be or is it possible that the sound is bouncing around inside the engine bay and making it sound as though its coming from behind the engine? This is in addition to the loud ticking coming from the carbon filter and as I have said only cuts in when the carbon filter starts ticking.

I even had a word with the dealer as I thought it was the engine knocking!!!! He checked it out and said everything is fine, should I believe him?!!!!!!

Thanks guys

My S3 makes this ticking sound - comes from fron tof engine. It is seperate to the ticking sound the carbon filter makes and increases in 'ticks' when revved - could this be the water pump on its way out or noisey tappets/hydraulic lifters? Thos who may have read my other post might remeber the trader didnt change the water pump when he did the cambelt last week...

It could be hydraulic lifters but i'd point it to the same (right hand side of the engine - left hand side if you are standing in front of the car).

More of a "tick" noise than a "tap". Mine does it but my engine is very very quiet.

G

While were on with ticking noises, found out what mine is, its the secondary water pump, looks like it on its way out, phoned audi and they said it would cost £103.70, couldnt believe it to say how big it is to how much it costs
Edit: just looked through some post's and was wondering is it normal for you to always hear the pump after you turn the engine off, its just some people say it is and some dont

Yes it is normal, mine does it almost all the time when i switch off and leave it tucked away in my garage. Have to walk past the front of the car each and every time so i know it does it as i can hear it when i close the garage door.

G

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the running noise you here after is fluids being pumped round the engine, so it cools slowly.

A friend had a subaru and he use to have to park and leave the engine running for a few minutes before turning off because it didn't do it automaticly.

I believe it's important for the turbo?

ok so just to check is normal for you to be able to hear the secondary water pump after you switch the engine off (all the time) its that i thought mine was knackered and was about to fork out £103 for anew one:faint:

Its designed to run after the engine is switched off yes!

Don't get a new one unless it's not working at all.

G

No worries dude glad i could help!

I thought it was wierd when i bought my car in August last year. Put the garage door down and tucked car away for the night and thought wtf theres a noise coming from my cars engine bay lol. Only then did i realise having had 2 other S3's (many years ago) that it was supposed to do it.

Useful little thing.

G

I am thinking this may be the same thing, but!
I am getting this ticking noise but only when i start the engine from cold or cool and it is VERY load, but stops after the engine has settled down after starting.
Is this the same thing, as i was thinking starter motor?
Thanks..

I've had this same problem for a while now, increasing in volume for a while. Now it irritates me everytime the engine is on and never EVER goes away. Someone guessed at a cracked exhaust manifold. They said that this could cause an excess of exhaust fumes to be stored in the carbon filter for a while until the system has the capacity to flush the gas again. Is this valid?

If not, how can I quieten down this ticking as it's driving me doo-lally. Also, my fan has come on after I switch the car off quite a lot recently. It doesn't often do this unless it's REALLY hot outside. It was 15/16 degrees the other night and the car hadn't been driven hard at all. It stayed on for a bit. Anything to be concerned about?

I'm not exactly trusting garages at the moment as I've had two try to rip me off recently. One very nearly successfully. He got a fair chunk of my money anyway.

Can anyone help?

I've had this same problem for a while now, increasing in volume for a while. Now it irritates me everytime the engine is on and never EVER goes away. Someone guessed at a cracked exhaust manifold. They said that this could cause an excess of exhaust fumes to be stored in the carbon filter for a while until the system has the capacity to flush the gas again. Is this valid?

If not, how can I quieten down this ticking as it's driving me doo-lally. Also, my fan has come on after I switch the car off quite a lot recently. It doesn't often do this unless it's REALLY hot outside. It was 15/16 degrees the other night and the car hadn't been driven hard at all. It stayed on for a bit. Anything to be concerned about?

I'm not exactly trusting garages at the moment as I've had two try to rip me off recently. One very nearly successfully. He got a fair chunk of my money anyway.

Can anyone help?
mines just started anyone know the problem

Hi everyone, I'm new to this and for some odd reason can't seem to find how to post a new thread so have ended up here...
My 2002 S3 has the same ticking from near windscreen wash bottle... It's sometimes there and sometimes not... Any idea of what this is??

Hi everyone, I'm new to this and for some odd reason can't seem to find how to post a new thread so have ended up here...
My 2002 S3 has the same ticking from near windscreen wash bottle... It's sometimes there and sometimes not... Any idea of what this is??

EVAP valve (N80)... the ticking is normal... its on the black canister behind the washer bottle

<tuffty/>

EVAP valve (N80)... the ticking is normal... its on the black canister behind the washer bottle

<tuffty/>
So I should just leave it? Is there a way to stop it? Thanks for you help!!