Help With Some Problems With The Car

emzino

Reaction score
Hi all. I'll get straight to the point as i'm taking it into a garage and I want to tell them (roughly) exactly what it is or might be.

1) Car would sometimes tick over a couple of times before firing up so purchased new set of Glow Plugs. - Got it fitted but still same problem. Recoils maybe?

2) Car would lack alot of power and be very rough. Purchased 5L of Oil, got it changed with new Oil Filter + cleaned out any deposits. Found that Turbo Pipe/Hose had a hole in it so got that changed. Still some power problems especially when going from 1st to 2nd, it has this sudden slow down then picks up again.

2b) Before we changed the Pipe, we checked for errors as Engine Management Light was on and it said Engine Temp. Sensor but after he changed the hose he said it was probably that.

3) When starting the car first time, for the first 15mins-30mins (not sure not really timed it), the fan at the front of the car (radiator/intercooler?) spins as fast as it can! You can hear it inside the car with the windows down! But the engine just started so why does it need cooling? Any kind of A/C is off as well.

4) It drinks ALOT of Diesel. Fill it up with V-Power/Ultimate and clean it out with Millers now and again. 120miles worth of Diesel went in 50-65miles...

I'm taking it in on Wednesday. Engine management light is on right now. Hopefully the faults will come up. I think the Engine Temp. Sensor apart of 2b needs to be changed personally but that about the others.

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you :beerchug:

2b) Before we changed the Pipe, we checked for errors as Engine Management Light was on and it said Engine Temp. Sensor but after he changed the hose he said it was probably that.

i think you have answered yourself your own question there!!!!!!!

Changing a hose doesn't repair a faulty sensor!

The split hose will cause a problem but the fault code would be listed as air leak not faulty sensor!

Most of the rough running will most probably be related to the sensor fault as the ECU is reading in a false temp figure from the dodgy sensor which is then making the car run rough.

Seems a fair analysis TBH, what about the MAF as this can cause problems aswell, just an idea not neccessarily the one but this is a very common issue on lots of audi's, certainly the temp sensor is a must to change asap as this alone will screw things up alot.

We changed the Air Mass Sensor and EGR Valve in May. Would it still be a good idea to change the MAF? How much is that roughly...

Poor car. It used to be sweet =/ It's at 69k right now. Would changing the Cambelt help or is it still too early for it to affect any of what's happening now.

Oh and also, why is it that I have to turn the AC to 28 or HIGH for it to even be hot! Otherwise anything below 26-28 is pretty cool... Is that linked to the Engine Temp. Sensor?

Oh and also, why is it that I have to turn the AC to 28 or HIGH for it to even be hot! Otherwise anything below 26-28 is pretty cool... Is that linked to the Engine Temp. Sensor?

Are you using any coolant? In that i mean is the level dropping needing a top up regularly?

it could be due to a faulty thermostat letting the coolant circlate through the radiator constantly or it could be a faulty heater matrix.

Na I haven't touched the coolant at all.

I wonder if that is linked to the Engine Temp. Sensor by any chance... if anything i'll do that after. Winter is approaching fast and last thing I want is to freeze! Urghhh lol

Thing is though, VAGCOM (well, the friend I goto uses something else but he said it does the same job), doesn't detect all the problems... I mean the engine temp. sensor > fine but faulty thermostat etc.

Ah well we'll see. Thanks for your help guys. Just annoying to have these small niggles.

The temp sensor isn't that expensive and is straightforward to change, if you have seen a code relating to the temp sensor then personally I'd change it. The ecu having an incorrect temp reading can lead to all sorts of symptoms.

I would do that, clear any codes, and reset the ecu adaption so that it is learning with a decent sensor. Then run it for a bit and see how it behaves.

MAF is the Airflow Sensor and it sounds like you have had that changed already, though it isn't unknown to have a faulty new one (although rare).

Good Luck.

Paul

Just an update.

Had the Engine Temp. Sensor replaced and it fixed the following: all!

Funny how one £18 sensor can do so much damage! It starts flawlessly now, rev needle doesn't bounce (as much. Pretty much still now), i'm getting warm aircon without taking it to HIGH and as for performance... well lets just say the beast has definitely woken up!

I'm in love again =)

Many thanks for everyones help and input, much appreciated!

well if you think about it the whole engine is temp sensitive in some shape or form so stands to reason really, but glad its sorted for £18, wish all our faults were sorted for £18, lol.