1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With S3 Rear Diff

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Tom Mineral Grey S3, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Tom Mineral Grey S3

Tom Mineral Grey S3 Member

Hey,

Im hoping someone can help me, i want to try and find out what is making a noise on my car. Ive got a Audi S3 2001. When i turn right or left on full lock or just short of it, a loud scrubbing noise comes from the back somewhere. I only hear this noise on full lock and not when im driving normally in a straight line.
    i think it might be the rear diff as a friend of mine had a similar noise and that was diagnosed as rear diff problem.

Any help anybody can offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Tom

:blackrs4:
  2. nick-barnes07

nick-barnes07 Member

i never ever got to the end of the problem with my old one a year or so ago, replaced the diff and haldex, drive shafts, and few other bits and none sorted it, does it feel as if the brakes are jamming on
  3. Tom Mineral Grey S3

Not really mate, its feels sluggish when its making the noise but not like the brakes are sticking. Ill give anything a go though :) cheers
  4. nick-barnes07

nick-barnes07 Member

5. nick-barnes07

nick-barnes07 Member

i have 2 spare haldex controllers and a spare diff if u need any bits, as i bought these for mine and it turned out not to be them,
  6. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

Hi Tom, 2001 S3, so I take it you have ESP as standard on your car. Now pull the handbrake up to one notch and that will disengage the Haldex clutch totaly and try to make a turn in the car with full lock on steering at low speed to see if the sound is still there. This will at least maybe eliminate a few things.
  7. Tom Mineral Grey S3

Thanks a lot lads, ill give it a go later on and see if it sorts it out.

Cheers
  8. thegoal007

thegoal007 Another S3 owner....

As Nick Barnes has mentioned, look at the link. I currently posted the last message on there I suggest you read it. The ones that have cured it by changing the rear haldex controller I suspect have earlier S3 models and/or have slightly different symptoms.
    Tom Mineral, you sound like you have the exact same issue as mine and I presume yours is the 225 S3 engine too. It really does begin to point towards the esp/abs ecu.
  9. barters3

barters3 Member

I had the same problem.i had a small leak on the haldex unit. I fixed the leak and changed the haldex oil,this wil be ur cheapest bet to start off with.
  10. Paul-S3

Paul-S3 Member

I had that exact problem and it was a fudged rear diff!!!
  11. thegoal007

thegoal007 Another S3 owner....

actually re-reading your post & reply I think yours is NOT the same problem as mine.
    You hear noise on full lock - I dont
    my rear wheels lock - your don't
    one thing is common - this only happens on full lock .
  12. Mr V

Mr V New Member

I don't want to be taking advantage of the situation but if you have a look in the classifieds under 'engine' i've got a brand spanking new diff for sale. You're not going to get new one for that price after it's gone...
  13. jonnywb

jonnywb New Member

I have an audi s3 2002 and i have haldex problem i think.I have no power to rear, it is not noisy and i have cheacked the fuse so does anyone know what it could be ?
  14. Tom Mineral Grey S3

Thanks for all the info lads.

Just thought id add a last post to give the final outcome(sorry for the delay :blush:) In the end ive had the the haldex oil and filter changed and luckily its sorted the problem completely.
    I no longer have any noise off the back at all and its feels much better to drive, think i have gotten away quite lightly as from some of the past info it seems like it could have been much worse.

Great advise, saved me loads of £££££££

Cheers

:greyrs4: