1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with removing rear light cluster

rygon Mar 9, 2010

1. rygon

rygon New Member

Ive got a 2006 A3 and cant work out how to remove the rear passenger light cluster (brake lights gone).
    In the manual it says remove the circular plastic trim then using a philips screwdriver turn the bolt.

Well the bolt doesnt have a slot for any screwdriver. Can see a nut at the other end but can get to this (was thinking ratchet with extension but havent got a hollow extention to fit the bolt through).

Any ideas??

2. PH1L

PH1L Gievf Buckets

theres a pop away bit with a plastic hex (10mm) ratchet out and note theres a pin on the opposite end of the lights so be careful when removing them

3. rygon

rygon New Member

How do you ratchet it out. I cant find a ratchet that will reach the plastic nut. Cant find any tools in the boot for it either

4. waqi

waqi Member

I used a extension on the ratchet, worked easy! You won't find tools to change the light in the boot.

The nut has a small slit in the middle which a screwdriver could fit, but I wouldn't risk screwing the nut up, get yourself a ratchet extension and stick on a 10mm end

5. rygon

rygon New Member

Mine doesnt have a slit. Got a fair few extensions but theyre all solid and the bolt is about 3" long. Think i might have to make something up at work

6. L80EWY

L80EWY Member

I turned mine using my house key..in the slot

7. PH1L

PH1L Gievf Buckets

you dont have to get all the way down i only used a std quarter drive socket and it handled it, i think people have used less too

8. Staz

Staz is a retronaut Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

I'm guessing someone lost the original plastic screw and replaced it with a nut, that was nice of them! You're going to need a deep socket mate, but I'd buy the proper screw to fit on afterwards first.

9. rygon

rygon New Member

cool, thanks for the replies guys. Gonna have a go at it tonight at work :)