1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with oil from Turbo area

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C6 Chassis)' started by B5NUT, Mar 19, 2014.

1. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 19, 2014]
    Hope someone can give me some advice on this, I'm seeing a fair bit of oil around the turbo, the car has done 180K miles and this is a build up of those miles, it looks to be from the turbo as I cannot see any other sources it could be from. Also the pipe going to the throttle body have a coating of oil.

[​IMG]

I've taken a picture of the blades but cannot see any oil on them

[​IMG]

Does this look like the the cold side seals are failing?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 25, 2014]

3. B5NUT

[Mar 21, 2014]
    Pulled the intercoolers off today and this is what I found

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cannot think of any other way that much oil would get into the intercoolers, I think there is a good 200ml on the ground + the intercoolers and pipe work are all coated.
  4. B5NUT

[Mar 21, 2014]
    Looks like this could be normal after 8 years & 180K, will just have to keep an eye on it over the next few months.
  5. gupsterg

gupsterg Active Member

[Apr 18, 2014]
    On the turbo the plastic piece which you removed in ETKA/ELSA is called pulsation damper (Link:- My thread), the crankcase ventilation hose links to that and IMO creates oil residue.

One forum member who had a 3.0 TDi A6 and went through similar work as me/you has added a oil catch can to reduce oily vapour getting into intake/that area.
    B5NUT likes this.
  6. B5NUT

[Apr 18, 2014]
    Thanks, You don't have a link to the catch can, was looking around for something like that
  7. gupsterg

gupsterg Active Member

[Apr 21, 2014]
    Use the contact page on this site Link:- AirShox - Professinally Refurbished

The owner/refurbisher if memory serves me correct made a custom oil catch can, I'm sure he would make you one or advise further.

I'll also email him a link to this thread, perhaps he will come on here or PM you.