1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with front wishbones

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by imported_Jamesh, Oct 6, 2005.

1. imported_Jamesh

imported_Jamesh Guest

Hi,

I have an early S3 and the front wishbone bushes are knackered, I plan to replace the whole arm, can anyone tell me if the A3 uses the same front wishbone.

Cheers

James
  2. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

No, S3 wishbones have slots on the end for camber adjustments which the A3 items don't have. Go for late spec front wishbones, they are slightly different shape and weigh a little bit less according to Ed at AmD when I had mine replaced, plus you have to get your wheel allignment sorted again, but made a slight improvement in handling (maybe the old one's were too knackered?). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  3. imported_Jamesh

imported_Jamesh Guest

Cheers Jojo for the quick response does anybody know of another place to try and get these wishbones.

I've tried VAGPARTS they want £68 + vat, Europarts want £82 + vat and GSF say they dont sell wishbones for the S3.

Also has anybody tried replacing the bushes in the old arm, I know i dont stand a chance with the original bushes, but what about poly bushes such as Powerflex.

Any help on the above would be great

Cheers

James
  4. paulbinks

paulbinks Member

Yo
    Front bushes on an S3 are easy enough to replace with powerflex if you have two people and a vice,just follow the instructions for removal on there web site, the powerflex bushes make a massive difference to steering feel and the way the car feels and corners especially if an R32 rear arb is fitted.
    Cheers "Bingo"
  5. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

For ease, just buy new ones. For improvements fit powerflex bushes. I can do those for you @ £67.80+vat/del (4 bushes, 2 per side)

Rich
  6. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

how much harsher is the ride with powerflex bushes. I just went for replacement arms as i felt the ride would suffer with the **** roads where I live.
  7. RichA3Turbo

[ QUOTE ]
    how much harsher is the ride with powerflex bushes. I just went for replacement arms as i felt the ride would suffer with the **** roads where I live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really not that different. I'm using the ECS bushes which are firmer than the powerfled bushes and they are fine.

RIch
  8. paulbinks

paulbinks Member

The powerflex bushes are no harsher than standard bushes but the trade off in terms of increased feel and control where it matters made it a no brainer plus i got the whole front end kit free of charge including arb and steering rack mounts,only took a few hours to do and removing the old bushes was the hardest part.
    Cheers "Bingo"
  9. RichA3Turbo

For removing the old bushes, i drilled out the majority of the old bush, and then used a blow torch and a chisel to remove the rest. Basically just burnt it out and scraped the rest with chisel.

Rich