1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with error after installing puddle lights

NME Jul 16, 2012

1. NME

NME Member

Hi all,

I recently purchased the looms from RobinA3 on this forum to enable me to retro-fit the footwell lights and pudddle lights/warning lights to my 2007 S3.

Whilst I was there, I also decided to wire in the illuminated door handles ready for when the actual handle housing arrives later in the week.

Ok, so the footwell lights worked fine, no problems - installed as per Robins Guide.

The Puddle lights were also installed as per Robins guide, using pin 2 as the earth and pin 1 as the supply.

I have used the earth on pin 2 for both the illuminated door handles and puddle lights.

When installing the illuminating door handles, at first, the passenger door puddle lights/warning lights would not switch on and showed an electrical fault in VCDS.

I thought this may be as I had installed the wiring, connected it to the door controller (supply pin 14 and the earth pin 2 which it shares with the puddle lights) but not connected the diode, so I connected this, and the puddle lights worked!

I have not yet enabled the illuminated door handle option in VCDS, but it still shows an intermittent electrical fault in VCDS.

Don't get me wrong, everything works so far that I wanted to install, I was just wondering if anyone could suggest why this is showing a fault, and if they know of a solution?

When I enabled the illuminated door handle option in VCDS, it still showed an intermittent electrical fault in the door relating to the puddle lights....

Hopefully not a massive issue, and I would be interested to hear if I am the only one who has experienced this.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  2. RobinA3

RobinA3 Well-Known Member

For future reference this issue was solved by plugging in the LED light for the door handle which cleared the fault code.