1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with cleaning my windscreen!!

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by daz-20vt, Apr 12, 2012.

1. daz-20vt

daz-20vt Well-Known Member

[Apr 12, 2012]
    hi guys ive tried many products to clean the grese and grime from my wind screen, does anyone know of anything really strong to remove it, it makes driving in the rain near impossible to see, any help would be awesome thanks guys, daz
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. danger S3

danger S3 Member

[Apr 12, 2012]
    get some Gtechniq G1, its great stuff and makes it a dream to drive in the rain

Kits // G|Techniq
    _G_ likes this.
  4. daz-20vt

[Apr 12, 2012]
    will try anything so great buddy thanks, honestly nothing is even slightly touching it, the brick acid in my garage was looking like the next test lol, daz
  5. johnnythepie

johnnythepie Active Member

[Apr 12, 2012]
    meths normally shifts everything.if you can stop drinking it!!
    daz-20vt likes this.
  6. scotty76

scotty76 Well-Known Member

[Apr 12, 2012]
    I find Autoglym Glass Polish works well. I have also heard that Halfords Intensive Glass Cutter is good for really greasy windscreens.
  7. daz-20vt

[Apr 12, 2012]
    Sod it will try the meths and halfords stuff first as local and cheap but if they fail ill get the g1!! thanks all!!
  8. vr6gordy

vr6gordy Active Member

[Apr 12, 2012]
    nail varish remover works mint but be careful with it
  9. Juicy Jen

Juicy Jen <span style="color: orange">Jen – Juicy Detailin Site Sponsor

[Apr 13, 2012]
    What have you tried would be a good place to start?

Claying works well and IPA panel wipe / metholated spirits.
  10. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 13, 2012]
    All this strong stuff that's recommended! lol What's wrong with a claybar and some Rain x?
  11. _G_

_G_ Member

[Apr 18, 2012]
    +1 G techniq

Makes a hell of a difference... rain just glides off and dont even use wipers much well on a motorway anyway... and no im not talking about driving 110+ to watch the rain fly off..

the wipers may smear a bit though so apply some ipa to the blades and you are good to go
  12. L33h

L33h Member

[Apr 23, 2012]
    Vinegar and water!

I work for autoglass and ive got some propper glass cleaner. Its a shame its specially made or i would have let you people know what it was :(
  13. audigex

audigex Active Member

[Apr 24, 2012]
    Make sure you wash your glass last - I made the mistake of washing my glass before washing which looked fine at the time, but the shampoo left a nice layer of residue on the windscreen and wipers which smeared when I next had a few drops of rain - survivable if you hit a big rainstorm as the rain washes the shampoo off after a second, but if there are just a few drops it's less than ideal. Use the glass cleaner last to get rid of the residue.

I've used Auto Glym Car Glass Polish once, which worked well but is most useful for if you have small scratches on the windscreen or very stuck on dirt which can't be removed easily... I more regularly use Auto Glym fast glass, which I think is superb (and cheaper). Takes a couple of minutes to do the whole car, I just spray on and wipe with a microfibre, each window in turn, then switch microfibres and give each window a bit of a buff - I found a microfibre applicator pad works well here.

Also, make sure you clean your wipers! Another mistake I made, having squeaky clean windows but dirty wipers which mess them up as soon as I move.

I've got to the stage where I carry Fast Glass, a microfibre cloth and an applicator pad around with me along with the obligatory bird dropping wipes and quick detailer with it's own microfibre, I detest driving with marks on the window for longer than necessary.

One other thing, Fast Glass is very useful for removing white wax/sealant marks from black trim and rubber seals.
  14. @ndr3w

@ndr3w Member

[May 2, 2012]
    Vinegar & Water with a bit of good old fashioned newspaper.