1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With Car

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by willster174, Feb 28, 2013.

1. willster174

willster174 New Member

[Feb 28, 2013]
    HI there all

I am relatively new to Audi ownership and have developed a bit of a problem with my car

The car is a 2005 2.5TDI A4 Convertible with 72k miles 6 speed

These are the symptoms of the car:

Judders when pulling away quickly in the car but it doesnt if pulling away slowly

Strange rattle knock sometimes when going over bumps which i cannot pinpoint where from

yesterday when sitting in traffic idling the car seemed to be vibrating a bit

It is still under independant warranty so I am hoping that whatever it is is covered

Thanks
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 28, 2014]

3. duffy78

duffy78 Member

[Feb 28, 2013]
    Sounds like it may be the dmf, dual mass flywheel. Do you get a rattle on startup over and above the usual diesel clatter?
  4. willster174

willster174 New Member

[Feb 28, 2013]
    Yeah it does rattle a bit yeah not had a diesel before so wasnt sure if that was normal
  5. willster174

willster174 New Member

[Feb 28, 2013]
    Sounds like that will be expensive then???
  6. gen.heinz guderian

gen.heinz guderian Well-Known Member Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[Feb 28, 2013]
    sounds like DMF ,Does the noise change when clutch is engaged? the other knocking over bumps could be Suspension arms ,upper/lower. Heard of Springs breaking as well.
    Where abouts in Norfolk are you? Im in Loddon if you need/want it scanned at all with VCDS.
  7. hades-

hades- Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[Feb 28, 2013]
    id say DMF
    but with out looking we cant say for sure
  8. willster174

willster174 New Member

[Feb 28, 2013]
    No the knocking noise doesnt seem to have anything to do with the clutch at all. It seems to be a knocking not loud when hitting a sharp bump in the road almost has the sound of a parcel shelf jumping. I did wonder if this was a spring or something s will check that. The only symptoms of the clutch side of things is the juddering when pulling away too quickly and the idle in traffice yesterday but first/only time it has done that.

Thanks for the offer of the VCDS i did not realise i havent updated my location I am now in Lincolnshire.

Thanks for your help though guys think i had better get it booked in to be looked at just wanted some ideas as to what it might be
  9. VagCabby

VagCabby Active Member

[Feb 28, 2013]
    As said the judder or most likely and bad DMF or warn clutch.

Your knocking...have you checked the spare wheel is farsend tightly to the boot floor? my cab had a knocking noise and it was the spare wheel knocking around over speed bumps!
  10. willster174

willster174 New Member

[Feb 28, 2013]
    Yes i have checked the spare and the tools and jack as that was my first thought. Hard to tell where this noise is coming from though.
  11. VagCabby

VagCabby Active Member

[Feb 28, 2013]
    Apart from the obvious things like suspension bushes etc check the strengthning bars going along the bottom of the car. I found that one of mine were bent and on very bumpy road it would knock against the lower suspension arm. there obvious to see, they run from the middle of the bumper to just behind the front wheel and the same on the rear, see if there are any obvious bends in it.
  12. willster174

willster174 New Member

[Feb 28, 2013]
    Thanks for the advice will check it out

Nice cabby you have there by the way!
  13. duffy78

duffy78 Member

[Feb 28, 2013]
    Drop links on the front anti roll bar go at around your mileage. Prob worth getting under the car and giving everything a good pull around.

Google dmf failure symptoms and it will give you a few more pointers to look out for. I know on the 1.8t the starter motor can be removed and the flywheel checked for undue movement.
  14. willster174

willster174 New Member

[Mar 1, 2013]
    Well guys the car has been in the garage today and they have had it on the rmap looking for the rattle and can find nothing wrong. The noise i can only liken to a parcel shelf jumping and only does it when hitting a pothole so not wondering if it is inside the car?? It had a new glovebox beofre i got it due to broken hinges so only thing i can think is to take it apart and check.

With regards to the vibration issue they have checked all things there and reckon they cant find anythign there either. They asked if i have had a diesel car before, which i havent and suggested maybe i need to get used to it lol
  15. gen.heinz guderian

gen.heinz guderian Well-Known Member Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[Mar 1, 2013]
    I had a B5 that done that,never did find out what it was. Have you checked in the boot under the shelf , anything in the bootlid loose ,triangle etc?