HELP!!! Wiperblades and changing tail bulbs...

tboy

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the B6, and one of my tail lights has gone- I've already bought replacement bulbs. I've only had a quick look, but can't see how to get access to the tail light assembly. Most cars I've had in the past have had an access panel, but on my B6 it's all carpeted. HELP!!

Problem 2: I went to Halfords to replace my wiperblades, but they said that they don't do them for my model of car- is this right?! Where is the best place to get replacements (I've heard that it can be cheaper to by the whole wiper assembly from the main dealer- is this true?)

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Problem 1: Just inside the boot opening, at the same height as the tail light is a round disc shape in the carpet (behind the tail light cluster. Insert a flat screw driver into the one side (side nearest the bumper and prise open. It will hinge from one side. Behind this cover is a bolt/screw. If you undo this, the til light will hinge outwards and you can get at the rear of the cluster to change bulbs.

Problem 2: You dont mention the year of your car, early A4's came with pretty "normal" wipers and these are available from your dealer for about £25. Newer models came with "floppy" wipers - same as new a3 and sportback called "Aero" wipers. These should also be available from the dealer. Mine is an early A4, and I did replace the blades once through the dealer. I have since bought a new set of "Aero" wipers - arms and blades from vagparts.com for about £55. They are better wipers, and have less wind noise, however they don't like rainx and similar water repelant. But the blades should be about the same price as the other blades from your dealer.

cheers- it's a 2001< model. Thanks for your response /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I also recently fitted the Aero wipers. Definately worth doing especially if you need to change your rubbers any way.

Cheers Lon,

fixed the tail bulbs last night. Piece of /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif when you know how! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Scotty- what are these fabled Aero blades I've heard so much about- what's the difference over standard?

Cheers,
T.

My blades were also getting worn and I kept meaning to go to Halfords to get a set. Then last week the passenger side blade started to flap as a peice of the rubber blade was loose. So went up to halfords and found that they don't do the blades for the B6 - doh!

As my problem needed fixed asap - especially as the weather had been so cack in Scotland - I just bought bosch wipers of the same length - 22 inches - and prised the new rubbers off the arms and then swapped them for the old rubbers but kept the same arms. Easy enough to do if you a practical person. Cost £20 and worked a treat. Next time will order some in advance though !

The old blades have a metal structure that the rubber insert slides into.

The Aero blade is basically a rubber strip with a stiff backing that connect straight on to the blade. To get these you will need to replace the arms as well which can take a bit of getting off.

The aero blades sit lower when parked, don't splash washer fluid or water on the wiped part of the screen and they don't lift at high speed.

I thouroughly recommend them. You dealer could supply and fit for silly money or go to www.vagparts.com and DIY. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif