1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, which A3 to buy ?????

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by jb111s, Sep 13, 2008.

1. jb111s

jb111s Member

Hi guys, wondering if you can help.

I'm getting very close to buying an A3 Sport in the next couple of weeks to use as a runaround (down to the shops twice a week, gym etc, no more than 3-4k per year).

I'm really confused as to whether go for a diesel or a petrol & which model would be best for my needs.

I had a loan a3 1.9 tdi & loved the torque of it, but hated the chugging. Is the 2.0 tdi much better/quieter.

If not then considering a petrol 2.0 FSI. My only concern is for the short trips I make I'll be getting rubbish fuel economy in comparison to the diesel & be forever filling up. Is this the case ?

All advice much appreciated! Cheers.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mitch78

mitch78 Active Member

:thumbsup:

4. missviper

missviper Member

Go for the 2.0 TDI if i was you.
    Ahd get it chipped

5. Khufu

Khufu Well-Known Member

I have the 2.0 FSI sport and mileage isnt too bad really, how short is short trips? On the motorway or sitting sensibly i have had up to 46 mpg but its more usually 35ish if im up and down the gears. One thing I would say is try get sport model as the SE comes with wood inlay :puke:

6. jb111s

jb111s Member

Cheers, yep the 2.0 FSI sport is the one that's taking my fancy. Don't really want a diesel, but if it works out much cheaper on the juice then I'll consider it. I was just so impressed by the torque of it. I'll be doing bugger all miles its just this is my first hatchback sized car so not sure how greedy the petrol ones are for short journeys so was thinking about an oil burner.

Definitely don't want the SE!

7. tobycruse

tobycruse Member

I have had a 2.0 FSI for 4 years, lovely car. But i have also driven the 2.0TDI and in terms of "ease" of driving, i wish i had gone for the 2.0TDI. The torque puts the fun back into driving, and makes things like overtaking and accelerating on a motorway a pleasure, not an effort. I would take both cars out for a test drive on many different roads, see what you enjoy the most.

Also, consider if you did get a 2.0TDI you could get it remapped, talk to anyone on here about it, turns that "oil burner" into something else!

8. Booster

Booster Member