HELP water in the rear footwell of my car

rickydale300256

s4 2.8 quattro
Reaction score
went to my car to day to find the rear drivers side carpet wet an soggy (verry heavy rain the last few days), have had a read around checked the drains battery compartment air con an sun roof, all seam to be clear of any thing. its a A4 2.6 v6 quattro 1997. any ideas any one? cant find where the watter is comeing from

Sorry to hijack the thread. I've noticed that I have a nice big puddle in the scuttle which, if it has been raining is often above the bottom of the battery. Sounds like my drain plug is blocked, where is the drain? Do I need to remove anything to get the access to unblock it?

Thanks

Huh...

I had exactly the same thing on Sunday morning, apart from it was in the passenger rear footwell... proper soaking!

As this is the opposite side to the previous guys symptoms, is it caused by the same thing?

First time it's ever done it though, and we've had some nasty hard rain recently.

Last edited:
same here over the winter..soggy pass side floor!!

Yer its the scuttle drains.

You need to remove the battery to get inot them properly. They really need cleared out every 6-12 months or so otherwise they get blocked and your car fills up with water.

Lucky you dont own a B6, as they suffer a similar issue, but the first signs are usually when the convenience module in the floor gets wet and stops working....

for a soggy drivers side check the rubber grommet where the bonnet release cable goes through. one ive just bought had been pushed out for someone to put amp cables through :think: .
if the carpet is soggy on top then you will have a bucketfull underneath it! ive spent today stripping mine fully and filled the vax twice drying out the carpet and foam. ive put the seats back but the carpet isnt going back in for atleast a week cos its still soaked! i swear it weighed 30kg when i first took it out.

checked my drain holes the other day and they were flowing but had a few leaves in them. battery tray is the shittest design ever! it was rusted badly and it sits a bit low imo causing the battery to rest on the steel of the car which has rubbed off the paint and left a 2 inch rust hole! going to weld it up when i get 5 mins and then make a new tray out of stainless.

will have a good dig about to moz, had cleared the battery drain but didnt know about the one behind the brake servo, whats the best way to get to the one behind the brake servo? had the vax out to day to suck as much water out as posible. thanx guys

take your battery out and you can just reach it with your hand , i poked a stick down there to make sure lol. honestly without taking the carpet out fully you wont even get 1/4 of the water under there :( and if you arent sure where the leak is coming from its best to take it out inc seats (not a hard job) then dry the floor pan and sit in it while a friend fires the hosepipe all over the car then just watch where the river flows from.
obvious ones are where wires go from bay to inside (behind dash) but you never know it could be a door seal etc. also just having a wet patch in the back doesnt mean water is coming in from the back ! if you park facing slightly uphill when water comes in it will collect at the back and show first there.

think how much a bath sponge holds .... in some places under the carpet the foam is over 3 inch thick! and even at its thinnest its an inch so you could be holding gallons lol

I'm sorry but people need to think how they word their titles alittle bit more, or maybe i'm just a child!? Water in the rear! :lmfao:

I'm sorry but people need to think how they word their titles alittle bit more, or maybe i'm just a child!? Water in the rear! :lmfao:

lmfao

well took the battery and tray out earlier and cleared both the drain holes. They semed to be full of slime. Luckily the inside of my car was dry.

cheers

Personally I'm sure that these posts answer the guys questions. Soggy rear? ooer missus... may a different kind of plug is required......? Badoom ...tish!
ahhh thankya, thankya... please try the veal....

Really though, same problem over the winter myself, my battery was almost floating.

Don't just clear the drain hole under the battery, take the ******' stupid "designed to block up" grommet out of the drain hole and throw it away. I foolishly left it in their after spending a whole day baling out my car, drying out the carpets etc etc, only to find 6 months later the thing had blocked up again, and this time with just silt (no leaves or anything bigger than a grain of sand). Carpets soaked for the second time. This is the culprit:
Draingrommetcloseup.jpg

A pointless piece of crap designed purely to catch any miniscule piece of detritous and flood your car.

At last!

I managed to find an hour or so to take the car to bits on Sunday to get at the grommets. As Andy says... what the hell is the point of them? Clogged up to f*ck... so I completely removed the battery-side offender and unplugged the one under the brake servo, though not being able to remove it completely I 'hitched it up' the pipe/cable that was inserted into it so it should be kept out of the way of the drainage hole now. While I was at it, I completely cleaned the scuttle area so that it's all nice an shiney now... not that you can see it!

When I started it on Sunday morning I saw standing water in the scuttle panel. I was amazed! It's all gone now. Yay!

Just done a search and found this thread as I appear to have the same problem this week.

I wondered why the windows were full of condensation on the inside, and then I turned into a right hand bend yesterday and tons of water flew out the passenger side on to the pavement lol

I then went up to a local roundabout and hammered the car round and round there to fling the water out with centrifugal force,..................nice big wet rings of water all round the tarmac :)

Typical, I've had the car 3 1/2 years and now it finally decides to do this the week it's for sale.

Best go inspect these grommets then.

i clean the drainage plugs, grommets and gully's on all my cars at the end of Autumn, you will find its mostly then that it happens, its from parking under trees and the other bits and pieces that blow of the trees.
if you get the hose in there with a hard spray and be careful about it it should clear the gunk you might have to get your hands dirty to get rid of old leafs.

Cheers, all sorted now :yahoo:

The battery was swimming. I took it out and removed the tray itself and instantly saw the offending blocked hole. I pushed my finger through it and flooded my drive :)

I've got water (puddle) in the rear driver side footwell I mopped it up but it came back within a day... it rained over night so was not sure if I've got a leak through the door seals... how can the battery compartment be the cause if it's at the front on the opposite side would'nt all my footwells have the same problem?

Look for peeps breaking facelifts on eBay and get hold of the plastic scuttle tray cover that came on them. Should help prevent future problems.

I've got water (puddle) in the rear driver side footwell I mopped it up but it came back within a day... it rained over night so was not sure if I've got a leak through the door seals... how can the battery compartment be the cause if it's at the front on the opposite side would'nt all my footwells have the same problem?

No, water does not travel via the shortest route, just check out the drain holes or you could spend a few fruitless hours hosing down the car and checking the door seals or head the advice on here. Your call....

9 times out of 10 its the drain holes,water builds up and finds it way in either through the ecu housing,pollen filter housing or bonnet release cable grommet,etc etc.