1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help. Water in drivers footwell!

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by palfy86, Jun 3, 2012.

1. palfy86

palfy86 Member

[Jun 3, 2012]
    Advice needed please guys.

Weathers been raining all day (typical bank holiday lol) Just been out in my B6 SALOON 19TDI QUATTRO and took a sharp left handed bend and moments later water came running down the plastic trim next to my right foot. When i stopped i investigated and to my suprise there was water droplets on the EOBD socket etc.

Just been outside and took off all the covers surrounding the battery etc but all looks dry (no standing water etc)

Ive been through all the threads on the plenum chmaber problem but like i said it all looks well so im confused to say the least.

Ive owned the vehicle for two years now and this is the first issue like this ive had.

Any advice etc on this would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. Lambster

Lambster Member

[Jun 3, 2012]
    Not long since had this problem too
    it turned out to be a leak from underneath the ecu box/cover
    a nightmare to do but no leaks now
    hope this helps
  4. palfy86

palfy86 Member

[Jun 3, 2012]
    Thanks Lambster ive just been ploughing through the forum and came across the thread ref esp and glow plug light flashing so i guess you know how im going to be spending the jubilee, upside down in my b6 footwell shining a torch into a big black hole lol.
  5. marty.h

marty.h Member

[Jun 3, 2012]
    i had the same thing on my S4 B5 but that caused me to go into limp mode as the water got into the plug for the fly throttle thats sits under the ECU better to sort it sooner then later
  6. palfy86

palfy86 Member

[Jun 3, 2012]
    Yeah not kidding. so is it a matter of just removing the ecu housing and resetting the seal? adding some silicone sealant etc?
  7. marktdisport

marktdisport Active Member

[Jun 3, 2012]
    also check the plenum chamber grommits have been removed m8 other wise your battery tray will be full of water also
  8. palfy86

palfy86 Member

[Jun 3, 2012]
    Mark ive took plastic covers off above batt and servo and all seems nice and dry no "swimming pool" in there. Is it worth taking the big ass bosch power plant that lives in there off to check?
  9. marktdisport

marktdisport Active Member

[Jun 3, 2012]
    if its dry id say there is no need m8 as when there blocked youll definatky see the water...... may just be the ecu box seal at fault
  10. palfy86

palfy86 Member

[Jun 3, 2012]
    Hopefully itll stop raining tonight so i can crack on in the morning and get it stripped down and take a look.
  11. marty.h

marty.h Member

[Jun 3, 2012]
    pop the ECU out and you will see the row of plugs under it i would pull them apart and get some electrical grease in them and re-seal the ecu box to the bulkhead that way you will hopefully not get any more water in there but as it was running down into your footwell it would of had to of gone through them looms to get there. When i disconnected mine the pins in the plugs had gone green so i gave them a good clean up just be gentle with the pins if they need cleaning
  12. palfy86

palfy86 Member

[Jun 3, 2012]
    Right marty thanks for that ill take a good look at them all. And arm myself with some electrical contact cleaner i think and some gt85 should do the trick. mmm goes against the grain doesnt it water mixed with electrics. :shrug:
  13. BlackQuat

BlackQuat Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Jun 3, 2012]
    Check the sticky for the plenum chamber drain plugs.
  14. atex949

atex949 New Member

[Jun 4, 2012]
  15. bowen

bowen Member

[Jul 4, 2012]
  16. palfy86

palfy86 Member

[Sep 28, 2012]
    Well the water saga continues. Got in my car yesterday only to find the mat in the driver footwell looking wet so i decided to take it out and to my absolute joy there was a nice pool of water dead centre of the footwell! As in the thread ive done the ecu seal and checked the plenum chamber etc. Is it possible for water to come up from the bottom of the car? i park my car in the evening on a slight decent (all the water runs toward the bonnet) any ideas guys?
  17. Yadziyad

Yadziyad New Member

[May 24, 2014]
    Hi did u ever manage to solve this I've got exactly the same issue as u
  18. TheDriver

TheDriver Active Member

[May 24, 2014]
    If it's not the ECU cover/housing or the plenum chamber drains or the pollen filter housing then check your door drains aren't blocked.
  19. S3 GAZ

S3 GAZ Member

[May 24, 2014]
    Where are the door drains located so I can have a look at mine
  20. TheDriver

TheDriver Active Member

[May 24, 2014]
    Open your door/s and stick your head underneath, there should be 2 drain holes at the bottom of the door, can sometimes get gunked up.
    S3 GAZ likes this.
  21. S3 GAZ

S3 GAZ Member

[May 25, 2014]
    Cheers has a look. All clear but found drain hole up in far left corner of engine bay under hinge for bonnet that let's water drain through wing was blocked up. Another cause for water ingress I imagine
  22. davkav

davkav Member

[May 27, 2014]
    Are you 100% sure the ECU cover is fully sealed against the housing. 99% of the time this is the cause of water getting down into the drivers footwell.

To remove the ECU housing cover the front wipers need to be removed and then the cowling at the bottom of the windscreen. This then gives you access to one of the torx screws at the back of the housing which holds the cover on. I have seen a few B6's were the owner/mechanic has failed to remove these items and thought they had all of the screws removed and subsequently cracked the cover at the rear where this screw is located.
    TheDriver likes this.
  23. TheDriver

TheDriver Active Member

[May 27, 2014]
    I concur, exactly what happened with mine. The 'awkward' torx screw had been missed in my estimation and there was quite a large crack all the way around the screw hole on the ECU cover. Highly suspect, as it had had a new wiper mechanism fitted just months prior to us purchasing it. Bought new top and bottom ECU housing, gave it all a good old clean and chopped a bit off the bottom of the drain plugs and been right ever since. Good practice to check that area at least once a year as the leaves and crud have a tendency to build up under there depending on where you leave the car parked normally. Good idea to remove and thoroughly inspect the ECU housing again.