Help uprated down pipe or cats??

S£

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm thinking of getting a milltek exhaust sometime in the next few months and was just wondering if anyone knew if getting a new high flow DP or the high flow cats are really worth it?? The car has already got a re-map from when i bought it, but was thinking about getting the milltec exhaust, cats and a remap which allot of places seem to do ( Best place to go in the around the east area anyone?? ) but then i was told that the S3 cat's are very good anyway and the place to look at changing is the Turbo DP as these are quite restrictive?? Any ideas anyone or even has anyone done this?

I've founds some prices for them here http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/audi a38l1/exhausts.html

I don't quite get the APR cat/down pipe bit Is it really £995 just for the down pipe or do you get the cat as well? and can you get a new DP and keep the S3 cats??

So many questions!! Help!!

TT shop were selling Blueflame downpipes and cats. Give them a ring!

pipe werx do a down pipe and decat for £410 not fitted and with 100cell cats for £650ish way cheaper than milltek and in many peoples opinions mine milltek cat back doesn't fit properly anyway!
search on ebay for ''pipe werx''

why change the cats? it costs a fortune to do it and from what im told....for very little benefit (3-4bhp)......

Well that's what I'm asking really, is it worth changing the cat's and is it worth changing the down pipe? I'm sure different people have different views but some websites claim 15- 25 bhp with the replacement DP, and 10 bhp for the cats so with a re-map and exhaust is it likely to be getting at least 30 bhp from the whole lot, i know once you start getting near the 280-290 bhp (which i presume you would get??) it can cause problems with the turbo, but hey, if it packs up Ive got an excuse to up rate it!

I seen alot of dyno graphs for remapped S3s and TTs. They all seem to have approimately the same power whether they have an after market DP and cats or not.

See EssThree's write up in the sticky section.

I don't think you get anything meaningful from the Cats or exhaust...I didn't.
Perhaps a couple of BHP and maybe 3-5 lb-ft of torque from the lot, on a very good day.

I dynod before and after, cats and exhaust...and saw nothing like the 10 BHP & 25 lb-ft some were suggesting.

Jim @ Star tested some fancy Australian downpipe assured to make 30 BHP. It made nothing...and he really wanted it to, as he was going to stock it..but it didn't.

In my experience, there is nothing wrong with the standard stuff..and even with a very highly strung K04 you are looking at 280 BHP maximum..I simply don't belive it's possible to get 290 BHP out of a K04 on a standard manifold...and even up at those figures, the Cats and exhaust don't seem to make an awful lot of difference...
Perhaps slightly more power will be made with 100 cell Cats and a larger bore exhaust when making 275 BHP+...but on a standard car with a re-map, you'll not see any real gains to justify emptying your wallet to the tune of £1000-1500.

Even if you try every trick in the 'bolt on tuning book' and optimise many things, I don't think anyone is going to see more than 280 BHP on a K04 1.8T with a standard exhaust manifold...that's 280 genuine, repeatable BHP...