1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help understanding my DIS warning.

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by jediknight, Aug 9, 2006.

1. jediknight

jediknight Member

Just driving home from tescos and a warning comes up on the dis that i havent seen before and i dont have my handbook with me.

Its basically a circle with what looks like brackets either side. Im thinking its the breakes?? but what exactly.. they seem fine and all have good depth left.. unless its one of the pads??

Its in audi on friday anyway so they cancheck it out but i presume its safe to drive until then?
  2. monkeytrousers

monkeytrousers Member

I think it's brake pads.
  3. S3_MCD

S3_MCD Member

pads, or at least the nearside ..... if its just come on no panic, there is a good 2.5k left
  4. jediknight

jediknight Member

cheers... will last till friday then :)

incidentally its going in on friday to have the headlight adjuster motors changed... thats the second s3 i have had to do this to now!! cant previous owners notice the lights wander and are extremely dangerous!!!

*rant over*
  5. nervus

nervus Active Member

Theres a wear sensor on the pads which is basically a wire set into the pad and when its broken through it opens the circuit and throws the warning. It may well be just one inner pad but they must be near if one has gone. Still there is a good 2K in them and the front pads are only ~£40 from GSF and similar.
  6. S3_MCD

S3_MCD Member

its when it makes a circuit, 2 wires embedded in pad finally both touch the disc and make the circuit, light comes on.

:)
  7. nervus

nervus Active Member

Oh, ok I couldnt remember which way the S3 was set up as I just changed like for like last time. I fixed simiar prob last week on a collegues Vectra which breaks the circuit to throw the fault and assumed it would be the same.

He bought pads for a lesser model which didnt have the sensors and on the old pads you could clearly see the little node with the broken wire so we ended up just shorting the supply circuit so I dont think he'll get the warning again.
  8. fingermouse

fingermouse thats me

no nervus you were right and I should know ive just this minit done my discs and pads. The light comes on when the wire is broken. the sensor is on the inner passenger side pad.

on another not I got discs and pads from GSF and the outer pad had a large sticker on it like double sided sticky tape. first time ive seen that on a brake pad. I normally copper slip that area but not on these pads.
  9. PaulRS3

PaulRS3 Active Member

Exactly as per fingermouse and Nervus.

link in the pad gets broke, sets off light.

If you install pads with no sensors you have to short out the lead to get rid of the light or recode the car, to do away with pad sensing all together.

As mentioned its only the passenger side front that has the sensors.
  10. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

You still can't beat a visual inspection - my pad warning light went on and it was the sensor at fault and not the pad wear device.
  11. S3_MCD

S3_MCD Member

I take it all back .... thats 4 against 1 !! - so sure I was right.
  12. pazaz

pazaz Member

My Brake pad light is coming on intermittantley together with the ESP light.

Can anybody advise me of what the problem may be?