1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, Steering Clonk

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by mike_plymouth, Mar 23, 2009.

1. mike_plymouth

mike_plymouth Member

Hi guys, iv had a clonk when im turning the wheel slowly, either stationary or driving slow.
    Iv had this work done to it recently to renew worn parts and to try and get rid of the clonking noise:

*New Wish Bones both sides
    *New Ball joints on the wishbones both sides
    *New Drop links both sides
    *New ARB Bushes on front Both sides
    *New Strut Top Bearings Both sides
    *New Strut Top Rubbers/ Bushes Both Sides
    *New Track Rid Ends Both Sides Front

Tracking has been done after the work and the Power steering tank is filled to the correct level.
    All new bolts were also used incase any were once use.

Even after all this work the clonking still seems to be there, it sounds like its coming from the steering wheel but this could be noise being transfered up the column.

Help Please, Thanks.

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. campbell

campbell Member

does it clunk on full lock?

4. mike_plymouth

mike_plymouth Member

ummm, i dont think so, it will clonk and knock during the full travel of the steering wheel, could it be the collar behind the wheel?
    it doesnt effect the driving of the car but its constantly knocking and its driving me mad.

5. campbell

campbell Member

mine made the same sound and it turned out to be the ARB plastic collars broken down which wasnt holding the ARB, and thus the ARB moved and was hitting the back of the brake caliper.
    Do a visual check at the ARB bushes, the ARB position

6. mike_plymouth

mike_plymouth Member

the ARB bushes are all new, pretty much the whole front end is brand new all except wheel bearings, trackrod arms, steering colomn and steering rack

7. mike_plymouth

mike_plymouth Member

could it be the air bag ring behind the steering wheel?

8. mike_plymouth

mike_plymouth Member

right, today i jacked the front of the car up, the knocking is still there even with both wheels off the ground... its not as strong or loud but you can still feel it.

i popped the car into 2 gear and started up it, there dosent seem to be any knocking/humming from the front wheel bearings as they were in motion so i assume they are good.

could it be the rack or the steering column? any ideas people?

9. afcjay

afcjay Member

sounds like the uj on the steering coloums worn.if it is,its a new coloum as far as im aware as the joint cant be replaced.
    best to get it checked at a garage

10. mike_plymouth

mike_plymouth Member

its begining to look like its guna b a coloumn of rack replacement. the starnage thing is tho it only seems to clonk/ know when im steering left. returning the wheel back to centre and turning right it seems to be fine???

11. HTC

HTC Active Member

Just to clarify, you mean the clonk is not from turning the steering wheel side to side, but when you have some left lock applied with the car driven forward?

If so you may have a worn inner or outer CV joint.

12. mike_plymouth

mike_plymouth Member

the cv boots seem fine, no splits or damage to them at all, the clonks happen when i turn the wheel but iv noticed its only clonking when im turning the wheel left when the car is stationary or driving slowly, when turning right it seems to be ok. this happens whether the car is on the ground or jacked up in the air

13. frenchman

frenchman Member

I had this problem with my a3 and I had up rated every part of the suspension and brakes.
    It turned out to be my dog bone mount. One of the bolts had snapped and the bush was knackered.
    It's a quick fix and a new bush for the mount is dead cheap.

14. mike_plymouth

mike_plymouth Member

right, just a quick update, the other day the steering got very heavy for a few mins and then suddenly the clonk when turn the wheel has gone and the steering is back to its normal weight. its now smooth as a babys bum???
    i still need to replace the dog bone bushes as the car is jerky when changing gears but the steering is now fine?
    what could have happend? an air lock in the rack?