1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Speaker problems!

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by Zak0123, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Zak0123

Zak0123 Active Member

[Jul 18, 2014]
    Hi all!

Hoping someone can help...

So I've got a Pioneer app radio with a JL audio amp and infinity sub in the boot.

Just bought some JL component speakers, took the door cards off and the tweeters out. Replaced the speakers with the new speakers (used existing wiring). Replaced the tweeters with the new tweeters (used existing wiring but with a supplied tiny 'crossover' box in-between).

I'm now getting some crackling when I crank it up and don't know why! Do I need to custom wire them into the pre-outs in the back of the head unit? Or will the stock wiring be ok? Or do I need to wire them to the sub!? Looks so difficult to put new wiring through :(

Any help would be great, I'm a newbie when it comes to door speakers.

Cheers!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Jan 29, 2015]

3. cocain

cocain RAA RAA like a dungeon dragon!

[Jul 22, 2014]
    Have you just amplified the subwoofer only but not the component speakers?
    The component speakers will sound better amped if you haven't done so as the head unit only has a small amp in it
  4. Zak0123

Zak0123 Active Member

[Jul 23, 2014]
    Yeah I haven't amped them as it looks ridiculously hard to custom wire them through the doors :( Have you done it yourself?
  5. cocain

cocain RAA RAA like a dungeon dragon!

[Jul 23, 2014]
    I have done a few A3s A4 and my A8.
    It is a little tricky and tight but you can use a coat hanger to feed the cable through rubber grommet that goes from the footwell into the door.
    what Jl speakers are they and what RMS watts are they? If they are anything from 70 watts (RMS) upwards they will sound a lot better amped up. You can use the current audi wiring you have and splice into them.
    Are you looking to sell the car on afterwards with the stuff left in? Who fitted the JL amp and sub? If you did that then I see no reason why you can't do the rest with a little patience. The A3s that I have done are older a 2001 model and a 2006 model so I'm not sure how much the 2006 differs from the 2010 but if you have changed the head unit it should be no problem as I'm sure some of the audi headunits amps are wierd and the speakers maybe 8ohms but I'm not sure.
    Cambridge is a little far from me or I would come and help you. It is a pain in the A*** but if you take your time and be patient it is worth it.
  6. Zak0123

Zak0123 Active Member

[Jul 28, 2014]
    Cheers for the offer Cocain! Ok so I'm pretty sure I've sussed it, had the tweeter wires connected to the inline crossover the wrong way round (positive/negative). Thought I'd buy a volt meter to double check and turns out they were wrong! Even though the tweeters weren't connected they must have been sending a bad signal back to the speakers.

All sorted now and was blasting them over the weekend! They sound awesome! I think I can get away without wiring to the sub but I'd say they're on the limit when maxed out. So pleased!
  7. manor13

manor13 Active Member

[Nov 8, 2014]
    found this and looking to do the same how did you wire the speakers in as I have non bose and the 2 wire have a connecter on them imagine the speakers don't.