Help sizing RS4 grille mesh

SDHA4SLine

Reaction score
Hi,

I wanted to order some mesh for an rs4 look fog light conversion of s line fog grilles.

Can anyone help by supplying measurements (height, width & thickness) of the genuine b7 rs4 front grille mesh?

Thanks

Steve

You're gonna struggle to get the mesh the same as RS4 the grill due to the thickness of it(10mm) which would make it unworkable. You could chop up a set of RS4 fog grills but the mesh is actually a tad larger than the RS4 main grill although it's not as thick, expensive way to do it though.

This was the closest I could find and looks ok, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181522751262?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Personally I think as long as the shape of the honeycomb is the same you can get away with being smaller as the the fogs are a smaller area. I did mine slightly differently but is much more time consuming, I cut out four individual panels for each fog and fixed to the front so the whole grill is meshed.

Not the greatest of pics but you can just make them out.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
nice, that is a nice front end sir.:icon thumright:
if i didnt have black and chrome i would love the red/black mix....

You're gonna struggle to get the mesh the same as RS4 the grill due to the thickness of it(10mm) which would make it unworkable. You could chop up a set of RS4 fog grills but the mesh is actually a tad larger than the RS4 main grill although it's not as thick, expensive way to do it though.

This was the closest I could find and looks ok, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181522751262?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Personally I think as long as the shape of the honeycomb is the same you can get away with being smaller as the the fogs are a smaller area. I did mine slightly differently but is much more time consuming, I cut out four individual panels for each fog and fixed to the front so the whole grill is meshed.

Thanks suppose really it's only the height and width I was after really.

I'm thinking of trying a different way again, I'm planning on removing the rib that runs across the the middle (left to right), fit mesh then have them sprayed gloss black.

Ajax1976 is the link you put up the stuff you actually used? If it is I will order some of that now:thumbs up:

Yeah it is mate, that's what I bought.

If you cut the rib out you're going to have to use filler or something to fill the frame as it's hollow and the hollowness carries on into the frame if that makes sense. Best to remove one and take a look for yourself and you'll see what I mean, going to be a lot of work for not much gain.

Yours looks great so yeah consider it ordered.

I can take my time as I've got a cheap used set to play with so if it goes south I can revert to plan b on the originals.

Just wanted to do something original :)

nice, that is a nice front end sir.:icon thumright:
if i didnt have black and chrome i would love the red/black mix....

Thanks, It will all be removed shortly and replaced with a nice DTM bumper. I'm currently chopping RS4 fog grills into the dtm ones so I can keep my fog lights then it will be time to chop down the main RS4 grill to fit, not looking forward to that!!

One question for you guys that have already done this mod...

How do you remove the grilles after the Middle is filled with mesh? Normally you stick your hands in the hole (to be covered by mesh) to release the tabs.

when you put the mesh on. align it in the way so you can put a finger in there and release the tab , or use a screwdriver if you have sausage fingers like I do :D

Reactions: SDHA4SLine
Yeah it is mate, that's what I bought.

If you cut the rib out you're going to have to use filler or something to fill the frame as it's hollow and the hollowness carries on into the frame if that makes sense. Best to remove one and take a look for yourself and you'll see what I mean, going to be a lot of work for not much gain.

Seen some pictures of people that have done the fog grille conversion the way I wanted to do it. Your way looks better so will be doing the same :thumbs up:

What glue did you use for the mesh on fog grilles? Just super glue or something a little more special?

Hi Ajax

I have ordered the same grill as yours for my wife's A4, I could not bear to chop up an RS6 grill even though I would have preferred the grill to have no number plate holder.

How did you do your fog light covers to match. I understand from your post you bought the closest matching mesh to your grill.

Thanks
Rob

Just cut some paper templates for where I wanted the mesh to sit on the fog light grill then transferred it to the mesh and chopped it out. I left the mesh a tad over size then just used a file to fine tune the mesh, the edges of the surrounds obviously aren't square so filed the mesh with a slight undercut to make the join neat.

I have just fitted a FMIC to my B5 and altered the lower section of the bumper to allow more airflow through... I then sourced a honeycomb style mesh to fill the enlarged gap and protect the intercooler.

I used black silicone (the Avant is black) from a trigger gun from the local builders merchants. This fixes the grill solidly but with a flexible capability so if it does get struck by debris it allows a certain amount of movement of the grill instead of shearing the grill at the super glue joint...

Total cost less than 10 squids....

The grill was via ebay, but through phone contact with the shop as I couldn't locate exactly what I wanted online...