Help!!! RS4 Battery Draining

AndyG0409

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm new to all this so please bare with me

A couple ov weeks ago I went out to start the car to find it totally dead, I used jump leads to get the car started, to go where I needed to go. Next day, again battery dead. I left the car for 2 weeks (as I work away) and ordered a new battery.
On returning home, I fitted the new battery and everything was spot on that day. Thought I was sorted. Went to start the car a couple ov days later, same thing, dead.
Having jumped the car off again and using it that day, reading comments on forums etc........ I started investigating.
It's the Radio, if I leave the fuse out the battery doesn't drain, put the fuse back in and it starts draining the battery.
Car is standard as when I bought it 2 years ago, 57reg B7 RS4, AUDI Navigation Plus stereo fitted (RNS-E) with 6 cd changer in glove box
I have now noticed that the stereo won't work with bluetooth anymore, and that when the keys are out, doors locked the radio still makes a noise like its still running but the display is off, and the cd changer stays lit up. This is why it's draining my battery!!!!!!!!!
I've been to see someone with Vag Com, once he plugged his machine in I had numerous faults showing "Low supply voltage" on numerous items. Having had all this cleared, the car shows no faults but still have the same issue with the radio
Guy who I seen with Vag Com didn't really know anything else

Has anyone on here had similar problems or know what might be the cause?? Is it the Radio/Cd changer or something else??
Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated
I live in the North East, Teesside area and would quite happily meet up with someone who could help me out

Thanks

Hi there

Been told this could be a software update issue
Can anyone shed any light on this???

Just got information from the radio
SW: 0550
HW: H73
Map: M1N061018_EN0603

Hope it is just a update issue, really frustrating as no one in Audi wants to help, there just interested in wanting money to take a look at it!
Is there anyone in the teesside area who might have a copy ov this update I could Borrow/Copy/Buy
Honestly, any help would be appreciated

Thanks

That is the software on the NAV unit the BT module is under the carpet of the Passenger side seat. There is a software update for the know faulty firmware, however from what I understand once the module has gone faulty, it cannot be updated when fitted in the car. The latest version of the BT module is 8P0862335AA and one of the best places to buy one is ebay Original Audi A3 8P Bluetooth Steuergerät 8P0862335AA Interface A4 8E TT 8J A8 | eBay

Does this mean I have 2 faults
1-The BT Module
2-The Radio
Do i need to replace BT Module and update Radio
Thanks

The radio is just on old firmware, as you must have an old map disc. The final firmware for the MK1 RNS-E is 0650, but you don't need to update the firmware. I can get you a copy of the latest 2014 map which will update your rns-e to 650. You are best off getting the latest 8P0862335AA BT module as this has better support for later mobile handsets.

Thanks
That would be much appreciated
Will this update make my radio turn off and shut down my cd changer once the key is taken out, then the battery wouldn't drain
I will look into replacing the BT Module for the newer version
Thanks

It's not the radio/cd changer that is draining the battery, the RNS-E stays alive for around 10 minutes then goes into a sleep mode. This is normal behavior. It's the BT module that is draining the battery, open the drivers door and remove the end trim panel on the dash, find the fuse for the BT module (it should be listed on the back of that trim panel you removed) and remove the fuse, that will stop the battery drain.

I don't have a fuse for BT Module, however there are 2 fuses for telephone. A 5A and 10A so pulled both ov them
This still doesn't explain why the radio still stays on??
I understand about the radio staying on then going into sleep mode, but I don't think this is happening, as yesterday I left the radio fuse in, locked the car up. Checked on it 30-45 mins later and the cd changer lights are still on. Surely this will be a drain on the battery

Looking good
I've pulled the 2 fuses
After taking the keys out, locking the car, the radio and cd changer power off after a few mins, then once I unlock the car the system powers up. So at least I know the system is working ok