Help - Rights - Damage from Garage

AudiA3JJ

Reaction score
Hi I took my car into the garage last week on Tuesday for them to fix the mechatronic unit in my DSG gearbox. I visited the garage today to speak to them about the AA warranty claim regarding the gearbox and I noticed scratches all down the rear nearside quarter panel. Where do I stand. I recorded my conversation with the boss and took pictures of the car in front of the garage. He wouldn't admit the damage has been done in the garage but said he would get a local body repair company to try and TCut the scratches out. Has this happened to anyone before or know where I stand legally and what the best thing to do is?

As you can see from the scratches on the picture they won't just t cut out

If they are getting the local body shop to have a go at t cutting them he must realise that the garage has done the damage, otherwise you would think that they would point blank refuse to rectify the damage. I can't really tell by the pic how deep they are but they are pretty noticeable which suggests that they are deep, hope you get this sorted out soon

If you can feel them with your fingernail they won't buff out.

It seems as if he has accepted fault by attempting to rectify it.

Still I imagine you'd need to be able to prove the damage wasn't there before

I wouldn't be letting them try and rectify it. That needs a professional detailer to take a look and see if it can be polished out. For gods sake don't let them use T-Cut as it will look far worse than it does now.
As to where you stand I think you'll have a tough time getting them to admit they did it. The scratches looks very unusual going in an arc - so unless you can figure out what its rubbed against I would ask them for a cash contribution towards a details (good one will likely cost over £200 for the complete car). Don't expect £200 but a contribution towards it would help. If the scratches are such that a detailer can't remove over 90% of them then you're looking at prepping and painting that whole quarter panel and that ain't going to be cheap.

you'll be lucky to get them to officially accept definite liability

I had a car scratched at a body shop, they would not accept liability but did mop it out . I then had to polish the bonnet myself , it was never right though , black cars are difficult to sort ...

I wonder if you let them try , then are they responsible for it ?

Cheers guys, think I'm just gonna get my own body shop to sort it. I researched the company since and they've been on watch dog for such poor work or charging for doing work they never did!!

Cleakheaton transmissions also known as Top Gear transmissions in Yorkshire, I would avoid at all cost!

A number of years ago I had a similar occurrence which was sorted out eventually.
To prevent them trying to get away with anything when my cars go in for work, I make the receptionist come out and look over the whole car. I could not care less if they think I am a fussy G**, there can be no arguement if there is a problem. It also puts them on notice that they need to be extra careful.

I also write my mileage on a big piece of cardboard and lay it on the passengers seat , prevents "extended" test drives !

Reactions: AudiA3JJ