1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help required with 2006 A6 fuel gauge issues

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C6 Chassis)' started by decky1968, Oct 21, 2012.

1. decky1968

decky1968 New Member

[Oct 21, 2012]
    I have a 2006 A6, 2.0tdi 140,

after fuelling my car last night, the gauge did not move from empty to full despite having put in 60ltrs of diesel,

I have travelled 150 miles today with the warning symbol on and the gauge reading empty...with no performance issues.

is this a common fault?

what is typically the fault?

any fault codes to look for with vag.com?

Thanks in advance,
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. ChrisFurlong

ChrisFurlong Avantageous

[Oct 21, 2012]
    Strange issue. All I could guess is the fuel sender gauge in the tank is faulty.

Mine has a similar problem, but that's more down to the mpg and a heavy right foot!
  4. gupsterg

gupsterg Active Member

5. Josh84

Josh84 Member

[Mar 12, 2013]
    Hi, i have a 2005 2.0tdi, was showing empty and 35miles in tank, put 25quid worth of diesel in, when i started car needle didnt move and still showed 35miles left. Pump was definatly dispensing diesel so problem is with car. There was a garage next door and they plugged into it and it said something to do with a solenoid valve on the faults, does anyone have any idea whats wrong with the fuel level reader though?
  6. MarkyM

MarkyM Member

[Mar 14, 2013]
    My 07 3.0TDi Quattro has this problem and it's a weird one

If I have two heavy people in the back it sometimes works (sender units under rear seat)

However I recently deliberately let the car run out of fuel...it took 20 mins of cranking once 15l of diesel added (priming) and then for a week the fuel guage read fine, after a week it went back to it's empty reading :(

So mine looks like a combo of issues
  7. Josh84

Josh84 Member

[Mar 22, 2013]
    I noticed it happened in mine when my daughter got out of the back, i have since fiddled about with the seat and there was a wire that seamed tp be under the edge of the seat, i pushed this back in and at the next re-fill the needle moved back up. So far the problem hasnt occured again.
  8. Gunner Bill

Gunner Bill New Member

[Mar 22, 2013]
    This happened to me with my 2005 3.0 TD. Filled up and the gauge went to zero. After that it was intermittent for a while before I got it replaced. I was told " common fault". I also think there are two gauges as it's a saddle shaped tank. So only one has to fail.
  9. Josh84

Josh84 Member

[Mar 22, 2013]
    What did you get replaced? The guy at the garage was on about some sensor that might need replacing but its attached to a pump and the whole thing needs replacing, wasnt sure if he was trying to rip me off or not.
  10. Ste_Nova

Ste_Nova Active Member

[Mar 23, 2013]
    mine has this issue, it will show empty after a refill, but after a few miles and a restart all is normal
  11. Gunner Bill

Gunner Bill New Member

[Mar 23, 2013]
    I'm sorry I don't exactly remember as it was a year or so ago and I've passed all the receipts on when I sold it. I'm reptty sure it was just the sender unit and not the pump also. Why would you need a pump if the car still runs? I don't even think it's part of the same system, so I would question that.