Help required pls - Clunk on front left wheel rotation - car off the road at the mo

Martrider

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum and relatively new to Audis. Im a Merc man by heart and set up Mercedes 190e with some friends nearly 10 years back. Currently work for Jaguar Land Rover.

Bought a late model '03 BAM S3, 120k miles but engine (only 37k miles) swapped in from a TT by previous owner.

Gearbox, diff etc original.

Has been running fine, had the coil packs replaced under warrenty and the crankshaft sensor went down but considering I commute 200 miles a day (Live in central London) no bad for 4 months of ownership!

Anyway, last night coming back into London, pulled away from some traffic lights and heard/felt a clunk from front pass side. Stopped straight away.

Gearbox engages front and rear and drives ok (slowly), engine runs fine, no warning lights, jacked up car from front and turned both wheels, driveshafts spin fine, and rotate opposite wheel.

So thats not g/box, not diff, not a sheared driveshaft, not the centre Haldex, braking is fine, don't think it could be a wheel bearing.

Could it be a CV joint? I've admittedly not checked yet as have been working from home all day. RAC man couldn't work it out either but called for a flat bed rather than towing as we just didn't know what it was.

Car is now outside the house, unfortunately my workshop is in the Midlands. Does anybody have a clue what this might be? I'm stuffed if I can't get to work.

As I said i'm new to these and seems a little more complicated than a Landy Underneath, plus you can't see anything from the engine bay in these.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Martin

Id say suspension bushes more than likely front arms rear bush has shot it