HELP: Rear diff oil quantity

pj123

Reaction score
Changing the rear diff oil soon and sounds like most people on the TT forum put 1 litre of oil into it. Audi have just told me the correct amount for a 1999 8L S3 is 0.5 litres.

Anyone measured the amount of oil thats come out of their rear diff when changing it to confirm quantity?

Good how to here:Differential Oil Replacement album | mcphill | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

ps They did confirm that the diff oil is different to the gear oil which some have asked about - two different part numbers.

I just put all the oil in that came in the tube. ( it looked like a tube of silicone) not sure the amount thou!

Your drivetrain is as follows: Engine > Gearbox > Front Diff > Haldex > Rear Diff

There is oil in all of these. You are talking about the haldex clutch, I am asking about the rear diff...

I can't believe people get confused about this, especially Audi :think:. One is a mechanism to engage drive to the rear axle (the Haldex) whilst the other is on the rear axle to distribute the drive to each wheel (the diff). Simples.

That How-to guide is excellent; great photos. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
To be honest it doesn't surprise me too much I personnally think Audi are useless toss*rs and wouldn't trust them to do even the simplist of jobs in fear of them screwing something.

As PJ123 said above Audi said 0.5 litres in the diff (sure way to f** it), When i changed mine for the first time 1 litre came out, have done a couple of other S3's and 1 litre also came out of them. I haven't got elsawin installed on my pc at the mo or would check but I know I would have checked it when doing mine, maybe someone who has it can verify ??

I know. If you want it doing properly...

...do it yourself!

I only ever go into the dealer to buy parts. The best was handing over cash for a replacement dipstick tube and seeing the look on the guy's face when he didn't have any change! I always make sure I take my 2 girls with me too, just to upset the usual slick Audi Dealer ambience!

Finally got around to changing my rear diff oil last night. Just to point out you need 1.2 litres not 1 litre as I measured it all when I drained it. Only had 1 litre so had to refill with the old oil and then drive to Audi to get more. 1.2 litres gets it just dribbling back out of the filler when the car is level. Simple job with a clear piece of hose and funnel and old oil was very black so worth doing. 12yr S3 on 92k.

Thinking of replacing my rear diff (not haldex) oil next weekend - what's the best way of re-filling the diff? Seems like the oil is going to need to flow uphill...

^^ I have the same one, got it especially for my rear diff oil change last year lol.

I filled it with about a litre, when it starts to drip from the fill hole you know its full.