1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP please!!!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Effect, May 25, 2007.

1. Effect

Effect Member

[May 25, 2007]
    2001 Y reg S3

My hazard lights keep coming on after 5 to 10 minutes of the car being unattended.

The only way to turn them off is to turn the ignition on and then turn them off via the hazard switch in the car (if ignition isnt on the hazards turn off for a bout a second then come back on again when the hazard button is pressed), the alarm ISNT going off at all.

I have left the car locked and unlocked and still no difference.

Help please before i wake up with a flat battery.

James
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. twist

twist Member

[May 25, 2007]
    Id try new switch. Also new relay for hazards/indicators and any fuses could do with checking. Id say possibly an Iffy Hazard switch?
  4. Effect

Effect Member

[May 25, 2007]
    thing is when i am driving the car it works as it should do.

I have pulled the fuse for now and checked the indicators do still work.
  5. JustSports

JustSports Member

[May 25, 2007]
    Hazard switch being faulty sounds about right, pull it out ( i dont know how) and that should at least save you from flat battery tonight. Think your indicators may stop working when you pull it out but not sure. About £30 for a new switch from Audi.
  6. twist

twist Member

[May 25, 2007]
    I think most cars the indicators wont work if the Hazard switch isnt in as it completes the circuit.

To take it out the panel it is in just pulls off. Takes a fair bit of pressure but it does just pop off. I used a small hook tool put it in beside the cup holder and pulled. You may be able to get a screwdriver in with the cup holder out.

This should let you take the hazard switch out
  7. Effect

Effect Member

[May 26, 2007]
    It has progressed now.

just been out in teh car and it keeps randomly dieing on me. cant get very far at all without the engine just cutting out.

after doing it a couple of times it brought on an engine management light.

I am pretty sure i can hear a cracking or crackling noise inside the car which could point to a dodgy earth somewhere causing me problems.

Are there any major earths in the drivers side of the cabin and if so where exactly should i look .

Any help appreciated as i have a pretty much undriveable car at the minute.

Thanks
    James
  8. madvw

madvw Active Member

[May 27, 2007]
    sure it's not a faulty alarm unit? it could explain why it also stops doing it when you put the keys in and start it.

could also explain the cutting out issues.

anything come up on vag-com?
  9. s3ollie

s3ollie Member

[May 27, 2007]
    if you remove the pannel under the steering wheel there is a row of + terminals and an earth just to the right of the steering column
  10. Effect

Effect Member

[May 27, 2007]
    If it was a faulty alarm it wouldnt show up on vag com would it ?
    If so how would i get it tested.

I have had a problem in the past where the car cut out but it wouldnt start up again afterwards this time it starts straight back up again.

I have driven it today and had no issues at all with it although the hazards are still unplugged at the moment.

ollie I'll have a look if the weather is a bit better tomorrow.

thanks
  11. madvw

madvw Active Member

[May 27, 2007]
    when the alarm goes off it logs a dtc, you could see if there are any of these logged i suppose?
  12. aidank1981

aidank1981 Member

[May 28, 2007]
    i have two keys, one does the same hazard issues as yours (doesnt cut the engine when using it tho) when i questioned audi and they looked into it they said it was a replacement key and the frequncy of the chip must just be out a little hence i use it as a spare, my original key runs the car fine?

might be worth getting your keys checked?
  13. Effect

Effect Member

[May 28, 2007]
    car seems to be faultless now :S

If it is a fault with the alarm unit how do i get it tested and where is the alarm positioned in the car ?
  14. shineydave

shineydave Member

[May 28, 2007]
    common fault is the back up batteries in the alarm die and then you lose the siren but you still get the indicators flashing hence peoples theories that it could be the alarm at fault not the hazards. try to get it on vag-com, the fault will show as "alarm-no communication".

no idea where the siren is on an A3 but i'd take a stab that it's in the boot behind one of the trim panels.

i'm also of the opinion that the hazard switch is also the flasher relay.

the key issue sounds like the sensor for the transponder chip isn't detecting the chip every time, do you get a key icon showing in the dash when the engine cuts? that could be the reason they've told you it's slightly off-frequency
  15. madvw

madvw Active Member

[May 28, 2007]
    a3 alarm/alarm siren unit is in the passenger side boot compartment, buried below the light cluster. Failure of the unit is very common.

the hazard light switch contains 2 relays. One for the indicators, one for the hazard lights. Failure of one or both these relays is very common too.

cheapest to replace first is the hazard and indicator relay, at about £30 for parts. Its not a major job at all, although its easier to do if you have a double din stereo.

The alarm siren is a bigger job as it requires the removal of the rear trim, and the alarm siren unit costs about £100 IIRC..