Help please

Millie

Reaction score
Hi, I brought a 1.8 T sport reg Jan 2003 it is the 163 model and fwd. mechanics all good and benefits of the voltex boby kit .going against my better judgement , I viewed and brought the car in the rain , today a week on finally got round to having a more detailed look at the car . I have the dreaded paint blisters on the roof !!!! I have read loads of info on this issue , uk and beyond . Would appear at best audi will do a 70 /30 split but their hourly rate charges everyone seems to be paying as much compared to going to a local body shop .

Anyway at second issue , I have realised the drives door speak is not working , the small speaker is. I took it off and clip it into the passenger connection and it works ok. I am far from an audio guy and or electrician but I took the interior trim out and I can't see any obvious breaks in the cable , I checked the cable into the back of the radio . System is the single din one , could the radio on output to one side of the speakers ? Can any suggest how best to check the connection.

Thank you in advance .

Sorry to hear about blisters.Seems common to several models and if not toobad it may be best to live withit.The speaker may be a broken wire in the loom from the pillar to the door.Again quite common and can be fixed

the speakers are passive
that is to say the speaker wires go to the woofer at the bottom of the door and then a fly lead with a small capacitor
goes upto the tweeter

if you are getting a signal and sound from the tweeter then there cannot be a break in the wires from the door as
both the mid and tweeter would not work

this leaves only one thing but two possibilities
the speaker itself or the connection going to the woofer

check the speaker with a multimeter
check the connection to the speaker including the tinsel lead

Thank you for your responses . Re the blistering I am afraid the one side is too bad and looks like the rust is eating enough of the metal now so will have it done .

The speaker I will check the connections .....well I will someone that has knowledge and a multi metre to do so.

overall the car seems to be a good one it's just disappointing that I did some thing that I never had done so before .....I will not do same again .

Thought I would update my post . Re roof blisters , I took trim off myself and removed the sealant running along the welds , took it to a local boby shop , they have done an excellent job at a cost if £200 seems far better than wasting time going to audi. Taking trim off myself meant no damage and I can consider what options I may do re addition protection in the channels. Main issue was simply poor previous care as slit had built up so no water could run away . Cleaned plenum channel out as well ,same issues with bungs all clogged up , although I have chosen to remove completely .

Spaeker no working , split wire wires in the rubber housing , thanks to who ever posted up how to remove the multi plug.

Good to know.Still bad that rust is a bugbear to Audis.Mine has the front wing arches slightly going