Help please

Jamesruff

Reaction score
Hi guys new to the forum and to audi and I am in desperate need of help, I brought the car less then 2 months ago I've already spent over 500 pound on the car, with the car having a new turbo and full service history I felt I had a strong chance of a strong reliable car so I bought the audi a4 sline on a 55 plate being 19'getting this car was like winning the lottery compared to my treved up astra i had before hand but the audi is equipped with a blb engine(now knowing the blb engine is the worst sort). Firstly my pipe split between the egr cooler and the egr valve £85+vat then a pipe comming off the egr cooler split can't get one from anywhere except audi and they charge £350 including vat and then I have to pay for labour because personally I'm not great with mechanics, so I got that sorted bit my tounge and paid out for it hoping it would be the last for a little whole, mistakenly thinking my new audi would be reliable, so I was leaving brandshatch on Saturday to make my way home and as I start it the car is ideling funny and I stall the car I accepted it the first time but after the 3rd time I knew something was wrong after many revs I managed to get driving the engine warms up and seems ok I then notice a loss of power below 2.5-3 revs and whilst heavily putting my foot down to solve this I am getting a lot of thick black smoke from what I can see in my rear view mirror so I'm getting flashed by the other drivers I stop accelerating and sit at a steady pace which is easy to do with no black smoke I couldn't get to a garage the past couple of days seeing as I've been working so leavin for work this morning I decide ill rev the car before leaving and when the car is cold I doscover recon the car it gets very lumpy at 2000 revs and struggles to get past it.Apologies for the long post I hope someone knows what's going on and. An help me it would be much appreciated if in need of any more ingot please don't hesitate to ask thanks Stephen

Get it scanned before changing anything, could be a few things.

Id suggest checking all vacuum hoses, MAF, Boost pressure sensor, Diverter Valve, EGR could be knackered or perhaps even the turbo (hopefully not!). Try online part places like 247 spares etc for cheaper hoses and breakers.

Is it still possible to be the turbo if it kicks in at roughly 3000 revs and feels like it pulls like it should be. The turbo is under warranty but would have to pay labour costs of havin it removed and a new one in thanks

Could be sticky turbo vains or a combination of a few of the things I mentioned. Best get it scanned.

Ok thanks, when you say scanned do you mean plugging it into diagnostics because if so I was under the impression nothing would show unless I had a warning light come on? I could be wrong

Yes, your MIL wont always indicate a fault, advanced software like VCDS would be able to give live diagnostics of boost issues. Not all issues are picked up by simpler code readers, like vacuum faults or sticking vains and quite a lot of other things. Some people disable the MIL when selling a car, esp with issues like yours to mask them.

Just had the egr replaced and all seems to be ok now hopefully it'll stay that way thanks for the fast replies and the help all is appreciated

No problem mate, glad its sorted, EGRs on these usually go bad. If it still misbehaves replace the vacuum tubes first, its probably the cheapest next step in my own experience. Can get meter lengths of silicone type on Ebay for next to nothing.