1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help please with small problem

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by addamsmith, May 27, 2006.

1. addamsmith

addamsmith New Member

Hi Guy's and Gal's

I need some help please.
    I own 3 Audi's
    1997 Audi A4 1.8 TQ
    1995 2.6 V6
    1996 Audi A4 1.8 non turbo

My wife's A4 B5 Auto non turbo ( very slow ) suites her she drives like my granny. Ha Ha
    Anyway, at night the climate cotrol works fine but the light behind the digital numbers does not work on the temp side.So you can't see what it;s set at.So I took it to a Auto Electrician he wanted $100.00 to fix it.
    I was wondering does any of you great people out there know how I would do it my self.
    Thanks so much
    Best wishes
    Addam smith

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. easytease

easytease cheesypeas

sounds like the LED(s) have gone.

4. madvw

madvw Active Member

Its pretty easy, but a little fiddly.

You need to remove the console facia, then remove the climate controle unit. It should be only two screws holding it in from the front.

once halfway out, you need to unplug about 3 or 4 long block connectors, make a note of where they plug in.

Once out, from the back of the unit, you should be able to see four bulb caps. They twist out, and can be replaced. Beware though, you need patience with these.

IIRC the bulbs are 2x5w and 2x12w ones, the LED illumination ones are 5W. (either orange or green plastic base)

Either way, once it's out, you may as well replace the whole lot for the sake of saving you aggro in the future.

Be careful when replacing them, as they come as a complete unit - the bulb is permanently fixed into the plastic screw base, and they screw in via two flimsy metal terminals - i buggered it up twice, and had to remove them as they weren't making a contact once they were screwed in.

I'm afraid i cant remember the part numbers for these, and the dealer told me twice that they dont exist - and tried to sell me a new control unit!! You have to just persist with the dealer, they do exist, and for once they're really cheap.

good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

5. addamsmith

addamsmith New Member

Thanks Madvw
    I owe you a few beer's mate
    Thanks
    Addam

6. docurley

docurley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This may help from my web page fire me an email if you need more help.

LED Conversion

7. can you get the led's from maplins??

and if so which type am i looking for i just want red ones as a few of mine have gone

8. docurley

docurley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

If after the small square ones like I used then I should have what you need as I have new red once that I orderd by mistake.

And no Maplins did not have what I needed.