HELP please, I'm new and have problem with my A3

mackers0151

Reaction score
Hi, im newvto the forum and would like some advice/help on a problem with my audi, I have an 06 a3 2ltr tdi quattro sportback.I havevthe car for about a year and a half, everything was great for the 1st 8 months, then it started making a siren noise ive read up on this and I think it was something to do with the turbo, so I took it to a mechanic and he said dont fix it untilll its broke, that was seven months ago, cars been running fine still loads of power just the noise but I usually have the music on so cant here it.I was getting into the car lastnite pulled out everything as normal when I hear this really loud rattling noise, sounds like it was coming from the passenger side wheel and when I turned the corner it felt like something was grinding and the steering felt like it was slipping and was very unsafe, took her out today again and the same happened, I dont know much about cars and any help on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Hi and Welcome to the forum, where the hell have you been? : )
Right, the 2 problems don't sound related. If it's steering I'd advise not driving it until it's sorted. There are 3 things that it could possibly be, meaning there's not alot else it would be with those symptoms. The first is a worn or broken track rod end, I'm sure if it was broken completely it would not be drivable. Wishbone warn/loose on the hub or one of the 2 bushes have given up. Lastly, could be top mount given up.
I'd advice jacking said wheel up, with the car secure, move the wheel around, you should be able to see something isn't right, you need to try and pin point the problem so we can help you more.
Wishbone is triangle, 2 connections on the sub frame, 3rd point connects to bottom of hub (the bit the wheel and brakes connect to)
Track rod is connected to the hub again, looking at it head on it will be on your right.
Top mount, with bonnet open, under the scuttle tray, held on with 3 bolts, hole in the middle. If the party in the middle moves excessively off axis then it had probably failed.

Cheers Kai

I got a terrifying grinding when the front disc shield (behind the disc) had rusted badly and was disintegrating and catching on the disc. If you really don't know anything about cars, don't muck about, take it to a garage.

Hi , I put the car up took the wheel off, and guess what?the jack slipped and the disc hit the floor, got my friend to come round with his, we got it back up the plate thing behind the disc was rusted completely rusted away round the bottom, got the wheel back on and took her for a spin still the same, but this time I could put the break padel to the floor, then the brakes would work again, maybe it done further damage when the jack slipped off, ill just bite the bullet and get her into a garage tomorrow!I do know nothing about cars so ive no choice really, thanks for the help lads.

Hi, ive taken the car to a menhanic tonight and the drivers side driveshaft has snapped/come off, were would be the best place to get one? Ive been on ebay and seen a few but there 1.8-1.9, would anyone know if they will fit my 2ltr?any help would be great guys

Oh, well that was a waste of advice lol, sorry buddy. Glad the problem has been found.
I'm guessing that you jacked the car using the boots scissor Jack? They are useless and definitely should not be relied upon, hence securing the car, you were lucky. I don't know about the best place for drive shafts but let me know when It's sorted.