help please, advice needed.

HOTTIGGER

Reaction score
hi all, while trying to bleed my brakes i snapped 1 of the small bleed nipples off on the master clinder, its not leaking just snaped off, ive still got air in the system, the question is, can i get it pluged in to vagcom and bleed the brakes that way without changing the broken bleed nipple??, thanks in advance. martin

How on earth is VAGCOM going to bleed a hydraulic system? VAGCOM is a software sytem that interacts with your cars ECU so iunfortunately its not going to be of any use whatsoever in bleeding your brakes. Youll either need a new master cylinder with new nipple or if you can remove the remains of the old nipple and fit new.

u need vag com to get the air out the m/c ,

No... you don't... you need a bleed nipple to get air out the master cylinder... VCDS can be used to help bleed the ABS pump if it still has air in (which is very rare)

There are 2 bleed nipples on the MC... have you broken both or just the one?

<tuffty/>

I had one snapped off, because a garage did it up too tight previously and it would bleed jst fine. Just keep an eye out for leaks.

Honestly, I dont know how you can get air in the master cylinder.. Always assumed the two nips on the m/c were to let the old fluid out when being really anal changing the brake fluid.

Every brake fluid change done on my s3 needed the mc bleeding to bring back the pedal. Some don't need it doing some do...

Every brake fluid change done on my s3 needed the mc bleeding to bring back the pedal. Some don't need it doing some do...

thanks m8 nice 1, some people on ere,,, two weeks people told me i need it bleeding on vagcom, then when i ask the try make u look a fool..

Honestly, I dont know how you can get air in the master cylinder.. Always assumed the two nips on the m/c were to let the old fluid out when being really anal changing the brake fluid.

!Honestly, I dont know how you can get air in the master cylinder.. !!!!!!! it was already in there !! and i dont think its bing anal bleeding the 2 nipples on the master cyilnder, as for 2 weeks now everybody on hear has told me to bleed the m/c and the clutch when bleeding the brakes!!!!!!!!

If changing the fluid its worth bleeding the clutch as it uses the same fluid store as the brakes... the fluid will be in the same sort of sate as the rest... whilst arguably not as critical as the brakes its something that if overlooked for some time could contminate the nice new fluid you have just changed or lead to slave/master cylinder issues later on..

Seems a false economy to me not too bleed through the clutch when doing a full fluid change to me...

<tuffty/>

i thought that myself m8, but according to people on hear u need to bleed 7 nipples, 4 on the wheels 1 on the clutch 2 on the m/c...
anyway ive broke 1 on the m/c,, can i still bleed them without changing the broken nipple.
You don't need to bleed the clutch.

is there anyway of bleeding them without changing the broken nipple?? thanks

If changing the fluid its worth bleeding the clutch as it uses the same fluid store as the brakes... the fluid will be in the same sort of sate as the rest... whilst arguably not as critical as the brakes its something that if overlooked for some time could contminate the nice new fluid you have just changed or lead to slave/master cylinder issues later on..

Seems a false economy to me not too bleed through the clutch when doing a full fluid change to me...

<tuffty/>

Last edited by a moderator:
is there anyway of bleeding them without changing the broken nipple?? thanks

If you can undo the nipple that isn't broken then you have a chance of getting the pedal a bit former but without a nipple to let the air out then there is no way to get the air out of that part of the MC... as I have told you via pm, you will need to remove the MC to stand a chance of removing whats left of the broken bleed nipple (if possible at all) else its a new MC from GSF/ECP or a dealer...

<tuffty/>

!Honestly, I dont know how you can get air in the master cylinder.. !!!!!!! it was already in there !! and i dont think its bing anal bleeding the 2 nipples on the master cyilnder, as for 2 weeks now everybody on hear has told me to bleed the m/c and the clutch when bleeding the brakes!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I didnt mean to hit a nerve or my repsonse to sound blunt.
The only reason the bleed nipples are on the m/c is to relieve air from the primary and secondary piston assembilies.
There should never be a reason for air to get into these chambers.. providing the fluid level has not got too low. (or fitting a new empty m/c)
For a fluid change if done "correctly" you shouldnt need to bleed the m/c at all.. or the abs pump.

Have you seen the new Bleed Nipple replacement kit, developed by Fraser Brown, you can see him in action on u tube, what a great time saving invention, I bought one online at Rapid Tools Direct.
ce5sv_nipple3.jpg