Help on Single to Dual-stage Airbag retrofit.

micasb

Reaction score
Hi there,

As advised i'm starting this thread as i want to retrofit MFSW to my pre 06 A3 8P.
I would like to ear from you what parts are needed.
I know a new airbag control module is needed. Don't really know what the PN should be for a 3 door and with front driver/passenger airbags and front side airbagsand also curtain airbags.
I was told that a new slip ring is also needed this i think the D version is ok. Am i right?
About the wiring. Is it a huge wiring or a simple one?
Sorry for these questions.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

Is your car an SB? all SBs already have dual stage airbags so no need to worry

If you have a single stage system then a dual system bag is not going to work whatever airbag module to fit. You can change the steering module to get the MF working if you dont have MF on your single system..

Im guessing you can fit a newer module to get it working, its the change in wiring that will be harder. I'm sure NhN looked into it.

It is actually possible.

If you change the airbag module, add 2 wires to the steering module yellow connector & repin the airbag module & switch steering wheel/bag then its possible as I checked if my current seat, head/curtain & side airbags were same, they do appear to be, so I have that on my list to do.

Now only question here is the newer module actually uses different pin ends, so you can either cut & solder repair wires or cut & crimp new pin ends on, which I prefer to make sure resistance isnt to high with solder joints.

Something I plan to do when I get a week spare :)

Hi,

But what year is yours NHN?
Mine is an 04 model (11/2003).
So resuming what parts should i need to retrofit?
The newer airbag control modules use diff pinout and connectors?

regards.

Last edited:
Already advised what was needed fella & yes the airbag module connector seems to use a different pin end, thus would need to change the ends.