1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!! New MMI High Navigation Installation / Audi A3 8V

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by sanrivera, Jun 26, 2014.

1. sanrivera

sanrivera Member

[Jun 26, 2014]
    So, I took the plunge! I purchase the MMI High versions of the LCD and Main Unit (in addition to the center console with touchpad) for my 2015 Audi A3 (United States).

My issues:
    1) One connector did not 100% fit. The Sirius antenna needed massaging, but then it fit. Anyone know why??

2) I installed the components and nothing works! Not the radio, Sirius, GPS, telephone, nothing. Is that normal??? Not even a radio signal?

3) Now, I know that component protection removal and coding may be required. But, I am new to this. Someone please help!

4) Is it possible that I need a new wiring harness also? I've asked around and most say that I do not need a new harness. I only need to remove the component protection and coding.

5) The unit says that it does not have navigation installed. I assume I must bring to the dealer for this?

5) I was given (for free) the AMI interface, but no cable. Does anyone know a part number?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. pat15312

pat15312 Active Member

[Jun 26, 2014]
    I imagine you will have a significant amount of VCDS coding to do to get this to work, have you done any of this?
  4. mjcourtney

mjcourtney Well-Known Member

[Jun 26, 2014]
    I'm impressed someone has bitten the bullet and given this a go!

I think you're the first person I know of to have tried this. With regards the radio antenna; The MMI High system uses a triple tuner, so I imagine there may be a different antenna / connector fitted for this.

You're into uncharted territory here so this may be the blind leading the blind! There is a lot of VCDS knowledge in this forum though, so hopefully someone can advise on what settings you may need to change in the software to enable some of this to work.

Good luck!
  5. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

[Jun 26, 2014]
    I imagine most of it will be down to VCDS, but you'll need the licence/map data/activation done for the sat nav to work by a dealer, which will be an extra £400 or so at least.
  6. Schizophonic

Schizophonic Active Member

[Jun 26, 2014]
    Not much of an input but good luck. If you do get any progress or anyway through the build, share it with us.

I want to do this mod too and if it means forking out £500+ for the unit I'm happy to do. I want this so badly.

Retromods have been done, check out this storyline on this build
    Audi A3 8V APS samt S-line læder
  7. sanrivera

sanrivera Member

[Jun 27, 2014]
    Thanks to all. Yes, I will keep everyone updated.

I have not updated VCDS. I'm ordering the cable now.

I think I have been able to answer most of my questions - I do not need a new wiring hardness. I need to use VCDS to remove protection and perform coding.

My current issue - I will contact a dealer. But, in search part numbers, I do not see an activation license for Sat Nav in the US. You can see the available part numbers here:

SD cards: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lg7xsmvooagpaqm/SD Card Part Numbers.jpg
    Activation codes: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eiha3h0qw39duu8/Activation Part Numbers.jpg

It almost seems like I may need to license and install the European maps. I can download the US maps from MyAudi for free. I may be able to download and install the US maps after the Navigation system has been installed and activated. Does anyone know if this is possible??

Does anyone else have information to share?
  8. sanrivera

sanrivera Member

[Jun 27, 2014]
    So, I'm reading online that I will need to go to the dealer in order to remove component protection????

Is that true? I thought I could get this done with VCDS???
  9. sanrivera

sanrivera Member

[Jul 29, 2014]
    Success!!

Even though many dealers told me it was not possible, I have successfully installed the MMI High equipment and the touchpad and navigation work great!

I did the installation myself. Total out of pocket equipment cost was $1,000 US.

Some tips so that I can give back to the community:
    1) Make sure you purchase correct head unit. I originally purchased European head unit. Once I got NAR version, all was great.
    2) No VCDS coding required.
    3) No new wiring hardness required. Only the LCD connection will need to be shaved in order to fit.
    4) Component protection must be removed by dealer.
    5) Separate GPS antenna is required. You can potentially use an OEM triple integrated tuner (Antenna, Sirius, GPS), but I found it so easy to use a generic GPS antenna.
    cemerson and veeeight like this.
  10. Fanoe

Fanoe New Member

[Jul 29, 2014]
    Congratulations, great news :) I have been wanting to do this mod for the last year, but like you, everybody told me it was not possible. But I guess it's time to search on eBay again ;)
  11. lewart_waw

lewart_waw New Member

[Jul 29, 2014]
    Congratulations, also wants this modification.
    What you had to do a new installation?
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  12. sanrivera

sanrivera Member

[Jul 29, 2014]
    As far as equipment is concerned, you will need new head unit, new LCD and new center console (touchpad). All three of these must be changed in order to have full MMI high and touchpad capabilities.

These are my additional tips:

1) Make sure you purchase correct head unit. I originally purchased European head unit. Once I got NAR version, all was great.
    2) No VCDS coding required.
    3) No new wiring hardness required. Only the LCD connection will need to be shaved in order to fit.
    4) Component protection must be removed by dealer.
    5) Separate GPS antenna is required. You can potentially use an OEM triple integrated tuner (Antenna, Sirius, GPS), but I found it so easy to use a generic GPS antenna.
    Schizophonic likes this.
  13. Schizophonic

Schizophonic Active Member

[Jul 29, 2014]

awesome, great news to the modding community. get any pictures of steps how to do certain things?
  14. sanrivera

sanrivera Member

[Jul 29, 2014]
    Sorry, no pictures yet. Perhaps in the near future. I know this will be helpful to everyone.
  15. cemerson

[Jul 29, 2014]
    Is this the 'tech pack', or with connect as well? Congrats on figuring it out though!
  16. sanrivera

sanrivera Member

[Aug 18, 2014]
    So, I have an issue!

After I removed CP at the dealer, the maps locked up and require activation. However, it looks like the part is not yet available in the US. Does anyone know if the European version might be able to unlock US maps?

I believe I need the SD card and code:

Activation code:
    Activation document.png

SD card:
    SD Card Part Numbers.jpg
  17. veeeight

veeeight Well-Known Member

[Aug 18, 2014]
    If you have installed MMI high, the maps are normally stored on the internal HDD, only the low-nav uses the SD Card Navigation.

Or maybe you load the maps onto the HDD from the SD card?
  18. cemerson

[Aug 18, 2014]
    I imagine the maps can be loaded via the SD card (just as with an update), but if you've had it working before all you should need is the activation code.
  19. sanrivera

sanrivera Member

[Aug 18, 2014]
    Thanks veeeight.

You're correct. The maps are indeed stored on the HDD. I was under the assumption that I needed the SD card in order to perform activation. I guess I do not?

The Audi has contacted their technical support and they have instructed the dealer that I need part number 8V0 051 884E, which is the SD card. Mind you, the Audi dealer (and their technical support) also told me that it was impossible to remove component protection and then they successfully (accidentally) remove the component protection!

So, it sounds like I only need the code?

Now, once I have the code, what do I do with it? Does it need to be brought to the dealer? Anyone know if the European code will unlock the North American maps???

Thanks for your help.
  20. sanrivera

sanrivera Member

[Aug 18, 2014]
    Thanks, cemerson.

The maps were 100% fully functional prior to removing CP AND if I go the Engineering menu, it briefly unlocks the nav function for 2 minutes before it recognizes the need to re-activate. So, I know that the maps are loaded and work great. I just need to activate the maps!

The dealer is telling me that they need the SD card part number with no mention of the activation code.

Does anyone have experience in entering the activation code? Does the dealer need an SD code in order to do that?
  21. cemerson

[Aug 18, 2014]
    I would imagine you'd need one for the American maps, but no idea really - just guessing. I can't imagine they'd have universal activation codes like that though.
  22. sanrivera

sanrivera Member

[Aug 18, 2014]
    That's what I thought as well. But, in the Audi parts catalog, they don't even offer a US activation code! It's crazy trying to figure this out.
  23. cemerson

[Aug 18, 2014]
    That is strange. I can only suggest keeping on at Audi for help, but I don't believe their response that you need the SD card... unless that's the only way you can get an activation code for the maps?
  24. sanrivera

sanrivera Member

[Aug 19, 2014]
    I agree 100%, but it looks like no one can help! I can't believe that everything works like a charm but Audi does not know how to activate the maps!
  25. gogoevo

gogoevo New Member

[Sep 2, 2014]
    Hello Sanrivera,

Any progress on this project? I am looking to do the same mod, however, I already have the display and center console (nav buttons etc.). My Audi dealer tells me that they will give it a try if I can find the head unit but they won't make any guarantees.

Thanks!
  26. sanrivera

sanrivera Member

[Sep 2, 2014]
    Hi gogoevo,

I'm still working with the dealer on this. They're still struggling to activate the maps. I am told that they are making progress. I should know something by the end of the week.

Apparently it has something to do with matching my VIN with the new radio. Once that it does, the maps can be activated by Audi SVM (internet link to Germany).
  27. gogoevo

gogoevo New Member

[Sep 2, 2014]

Fantastic! I just bought the car for my wife's birthday this past Friday and I'm already looking to "tinker" with it :) I wondered about the VIN# being transferred to a new head unit as I noticed that in the existing system. I also noted that there are two keys programmed for this car. I wonder if that will present any additional challenges.

Kudos for pioneering this mod. Please keep us posted, and good luck!!
  28. sanrivera

sanrivera Member

[Sep 2, 2014]
    Thanks. I will definitely update everyone.

Your keys will not present any changes. The programming of the keys is not at all affected by the MMI system.

Congratulations on the purchase!
  29. iceorbital

iceorbital New Member

[Sep 16, 2014 at 4:01 PM]
    i read conflicting information about the a3 sedan having the gps antenna installed regardless of whether it was a nav equipped package or not. Could that be one of those things that is enabled on VCDS?
  30. veeeight

veeeight Well-Known Member

[Sep 16, 2014 at 4:46 PM]

Market dependent.
    In the UK, yes.
  31. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

[Sep 16, 2014 at 5:50 PM]
    It's not just the sedan though..