1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Needed!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by irvine, Feb 15, 2010.

1. irvine

irvine New Member

Came offshore last week and the other half went to give the car a run today and struggled to get the doors unlocked. The manual lock wouldn't work but it eventually opened using the remote button on the key. She also said there was a constant "beeping"?? Once in she tried to start it and - nothing! She also mentioned a "key symbol" appearing in the display. This is what I could interpret from a 10 minute phone call tonight, (from a female!) I was thinking flat battery??

Any of you guys experienced this before or know what might have caused it?
  2. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

'key symbol' would be immobiliser, constant beeping is a warning of some kind, she would need to look at the DIS(I presume your car has one) to see what it's showing. Odd she couldn't open the doors manually. Flat battery is the most likely the problem methinks.
  3. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

:iagree:

Same happened to mine when it was flat as a pancake...
  4. irvine

irvine New Member

Cheers for the suggestions boys. Maybe asking a daft question here but whats a "DIS"??? I'm hoping the problem is just a flat battery and nothing more serious as I have just got the car!
  5. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

The DIS is the screen in the dash, between the speedo and rev counter. All sorts of useful info on there when things are wrong. Battery light will be the one to look out for. The top of the panel will turn orange if so, like when it's low on fuel...
  6. irvine

irvine New Member

I thought you meant the digital display by saying "DIS". According to her the key symbol was appearing in the DIS and been informed this might mean that the battery in the key is goosed??
  7. leshkin

leshkin Speeding in reverse gear

The beeping alarm is also an indication of a car battery going flat, but given that the key symbol was coming up it was probably the alarm going off. The key symbol means that the key in the ignition has not been recognized by the immobilizer, hence the car not starting. It does indeed sound like a wonky battery in the remote.
  8. irvine

irvine New Member

It definitly wasn't the alarm that was going off, she just said there was a beeping noise coming from the inside of the car. Ok so if the battery is flat in the remote and the immobilizer doesn't recognise the key how hard is it / cost of re-programming the remote??