Help needed

Paul battams

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys I’ve got an Audi A4 B7 3.0 TDI Quattro I’ve had car 5 years kept on top of repairs had it to same garage for 4 wheel alignment for last 4 years car drive bang on straight as but about 4 months ago started pulling to left alignment machine says everything is as it should has anyone come across anything like this and what cured it TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Checked tyre pressures? Any callipers sticking?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did anything out of the normal happen just prior to the problem occurring, maybe a pot hole impact etc.

I had gearbox out to fit a fancy clutch and flywheel I had made then swapped it back out 800
miles later cos it was nothing but trouble back to a standard clutch ever since nothing but trouble all tyres at 34 been side to side and back to front still pulls all calipers free I’m lost

so the issue has only arisen since you had the gearbox out , yes.

Ye it seems to have done moved sub frame to get camber equal (none adjustable top arms) steering just seems vague at times top and bottom arms all new 2 track rod ends and 1 rack end replaced (drum stick)

ah that maybe your problem then, as you know the front camber is not adjustable unless you get a replacement set of adjustable arms. moving the sub-frame may have upset things more than you would have expected.
as with all things once you eliminate all the things it cant be as , as you have checked the obvious areas, all that is left must be what you adjusted, the subframe.
maybe you should revert it back to its original position and see if there is any improvement.

Ye I see what your saying when I first had it checked camber was very uneven I only moved sub frame to make camber even as the settings before I removed gearbox but still no joy
It always use to drive spot on i was leaning towards rack maybe car is on 170k ???

is it pulling all the time or just under braking, also does it pull on the side you moved the subframe .

Yes it pulls all the time but sometimes seems to drive straight for a short while it’s hard to explain I moved the sub frame to the N/S and it drove exactly the same

did you get all four wheel aligned or just the fronts.
Another problem such as unequal front wheel caster. Unequal front wheel caster has a profound effect on steering pull but will not cause undue tire wear.

Yep always goes on same machine 4 wheel alignment
I can’t remember caster setting off hand is Caster adjustable??

Just working backwards chap, if you have checked the calipers are not sticking , tyres are good etc then the possible route causes are getting less rapidly.
you have replaced some worn parts too.
Normally the next thing would be an alignment issue, as its not a problem that is restricted to under braking conditions as you say it's there all most all the time.
to eliminate another possible factor, swap the front wheels round and see if there is any change, if not that deffo eliminates tyres.
so you still looking possibly at alignment issues maybe as a result of the subframe movement.
could be the rack , but there is a strong case for mis alignment or similar problem as your getting it all the time and that's has a common connection to the fact that the problem arose around the time you were doing that work on the car in that area.

just looking at the wider picture chap really, something changed to the car's front end on or about the time you said you did the gearbox work, cant help getting the feeling the two are connected but maybe wrong as i'm not an expert, just giving you some extra ideas to work with.

Did you disconnect the front drive shafts when you did the gearbox work chap, just possibly another area to look at aswell as it maybe relavant.

rob

Thanks for reply Rob yes drive shafts were removed but only from gearbox and left in hubs tyres been swapped several times ye I’m thinking it’s linked to gearbox I had major problems with clutch and flywheel just wonder if that has damaged gearbox/front diff had gearbox checked while it was out and gearbox place has offered to re check gearbox for free if I was to take it back out and send it back I’ll keep checking and tweaking stuff any input is appreciated many thanks Paul

Good luck with it chap, sorry I cant be of more assistance to you .