1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP NEEDED WITH REAR BRAKE PISTON S3

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by oak16v, Dec 27, 2008.

1. oak16v

oak16v New Member

[Dec 27, 2008]
    Im trying to change my rear pads, but the piston wont go back in.

Ive got the right tool for the job that screws back the caliper piston while appling pressure but my piston is not turning much at all its really hard to twist i think it moves about 1mm each time a pull a muscle!!!

Ive loosened off the brake resvoir cap, but doesnt do any thing.

Is there something im missing.

Please help guys!!!!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 30, 2014]

3. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Dec 27, 2008]
    Silly question, but I take it you have the hand brake off also right?
  4. S3BLX

S3BLX Member

[Dec 27, 2008]
    Thats something i would do! leave handbrake on and just be clueless! lol :faint:
  5. rraghvani

rraghvani Whoever does not try, does not learn.

[Dec 30, 2008]
    I assume you have a Brake Caliper Rewind Tool (Laser Tool from Halfords?), I had similar problems last week while replacing the rear pads. Ensure your hand brake is off and that it’s on a flat surface, use stoppers so that the car doesn’t roll back or forward! With the caliper exposed, undo the brake nipple and ensure the caliper rewind tool is perfectly centred with the piston and start turning. As you turn, brake fluid will seep out of the nipple, you’ll need something like Gunson Eezibleed bit to capture the fluid as it seeps out. If the tool becomes difficult to turn, then most likely it’s not centred properly – it took me 50 minutes to do one side, and only 5 minutes to do the other side, once I figured it out!