Help Needed With My A6

arun9010

Reaction score
Hello to all,

Im looking for some help and guidance with the issues that I am having with my a6 , I just bought the car and never had an audi before, as its my second car only :)

About the car: audi a6 estate 1.9 tdi se

The list of problems that im having is :

My side lith and dipped beam ir not working when switch it put on dipped beam. High beam and fog lamps are working fine and my dipped beam comes on with the high beam? Any possible solution? For now I have removed my high beam bulbs and when the switch is put on high beam I got dipped as for now until I can fix it. Hopefully somebody might know how to fix it.

I got rns e unit in the car and the person that sold it said its not working but its a quick fuse change in at the back of the radio and thays it well thay was a lay fuse and all the wiring looks fine and have been check. There is no response from unit whrn trying to turn it on, anyone might know what could be wrong with it and where I could fix it?

Also can somebody point me to right direction on what cable to get for connecting to the car reading and clearing fault codes and is possible to reset service ?

Thanks in advance

if your lucky this is a bad earth, check all the bulbs separately (assumes not xenon).
If you are xenon then power to the ballast resistor pack needs a check...warning 'shocking' if you touch a live wire.
Otherwise worn out light switch?
If its your ballast then check http://www.hids4u.co.uk/

Someone else can do RNS...... but sounds like it needs to be activated in software...
http://www.clusterrepairsuk.co.uk/r...lroad-4b-rns-e-navigation-unit-repair-service if it goes wrong
There are other repairers.

Best cable set up is a Ross Tech VCDS around £250.
You can buy full set or download free copy from Ross Tech site and buy an eBay Vagcom/VCDS cable.
Free version will do most things but you can also do a $99 license.
www.ross-tech.com
Forget the cheap code readers as they can't read the sub modules just the main ECU.

Manual service reset (only use if you have done the service!)
  • Ignition off
  • Press and hold the button on the left side of the display while turning the ignition on
  • Service OIL will be displayed
  • Pull out the button on the right side of the display until the service prompt is cleared
  • The display should now read **
Or
  • Ignition off, push right button
  • Ignition on and then pull left button
  • This should clear the warning message

Thank for your replay.

Yes i got normal bulb headlights.
headlight problem is not related to a switch as I have a new one as well as its still the same problem. How do you check for bad earth? Is there some diagrams I can follow to check each wire? Could it be a relay thats causing this?
I was hoping to do it my self but this headlight issues starts to be a bit more than I can handle. I will try going over the wires with multimeter to see is they getting power at the headlight.

The cable that you recommend looks like a good investment. I never heard about this company before.

I never thought that a software activation would make radio look as its completely dead. I will have to get some local radio repair places to take a look at it as I thought the unit is done and nothing can be done to it.

Yes I have done the service but thats now about 250 miles ago :D

Thanks for your help. I will start testing them and see it it can be fix with the ways you mentioned.

Take the bulbs and check straight on the battery bit of wire and tape needed.
I can look out the diagarm for you in a day or so what year? right or left hand drive? EU or USA model?
Multimeter is good and yes there is a fuse and a relay.
Fuse panel is under the side cover on the dash exposed when you open the door.
If you google Audi A6 C5 Fuse you should get LH and RH versions and same for relay locations.

VCDS/VagCom is used by pretty much all VW Audi Skoda and Seat garages and owners.

Hi, sorry for delayed replay as I'm not finishing work until 11pm.

Yes I have checked bulbs from battery and in different car and they are 100% fully working. Its 2004 , its a uk version right hand drive.
I have checked all the fuses for lights in that side fuse box all of them are fine I even changed them just to make sure.
I need to do a better search on relay location and whats will fit in mine. As I only read in forum that its can be a possibility why headlight is not working fully.

Thanks for diagram, will have a try tomorrow see if I can find the fault myself.