Help Needed with knocking sound

Bertthedwarf

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Recently bought a A3 2.0 TFSI S Line 3 door. Although in really happy with the car I've noticed a knocking sound coming from the back end. I can only describe the noise as sounding like a wheel locking nut bouncing around in the bottom of the boot. Just spent 2 hours stripping down all the side panels in the boot and taking out the rear seats and looking under the car for any loose parts.

I've not found anything that could relate to the knocking sound.

Hope you guys can be of some help

Thanks

Last edited:
Can tell you exactly what it is... had the same thing on my tdi...

It'll be the stone guards on the rear trailing arms... get down on the floor and see if they are loose... any amount of play in them translates to the sound of a tool box being thrown about the boot every time you go over a bump... drove me nuts for weeks.

Can tell you exactly what it is... had the same thing on my tdi...

It'll be the stone guards on the rear trailing arms... get down on the floor and see if they are loose... any amount of play in them translates to the sound of a tool box being thrown about the boot every time you go over a bump... drove me nuts for weeks.

+1 for this mans ^ answer, I had this on mine aswell, I were too lazy to fix it at the time when I finally figured out what the noise were so I wedged some sponge inbetween the guard and the arm and it's been fine ever since( I suppose the sponge will rot at some point though)

+1 for this mans ^ answer, I had this on mine aswell, I were too lazy to fix it at the time when I finally figured out what the noise were so I wedged some sponge inbetween the guard and the arm and it's been fine ever since( I suppose the sponge will rot at some point though)

I went for the slightly more upmarket "strips of rubber cut from a sanding block" :)

Found it.

Took the back wheel off to find the steel part at the top of the suspention damaged it had been ratteling like a can of marbles

Thanks

You mean the rear suspension top mount? Could you post a picture? Thanks