1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed please ! Looking for a new TV

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by S3 Paul, Feb 2, 2009.

1. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Well-Known Member Regional Rep

[Feb 2, 2009]
    Hi all,
    Well as above, I am finaly moving out from my folks house, Im looking for a flat screen, Plazma? LCD ? around the 40inch mark ,
    I watch films like matrix and blade and sports ... i also have a PS3 that i use for online fun like Grid and COD4/5
    Im not able to go mad on the price to be honest,
    Looking for around £500 to £600
    I bought a mag today in the hope it would help me with my choise but it just raised more questions than it answered !
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 26, 2014]

3. dantdi

dantdi ...

[Feb 2, 2009]
    Dont know much about them, but i know Plazmas screens can burn. So if using ps3 think LCD would be better,

Ive got Panasonic 34inch and using PS3 with it, its great!
  4. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

[Feb 2, 2009]
    Panasonic FTW. One of my mates is really into his AV stuff and he says there are only 2 TV brands he will buy Panasonic and Pioneer.
  5. Nilz

Nilz Defo worth the wait :)

[Feb 2, 2009]
    Panasonic and Pioneer are very good, Sony are up there as well.

What do you prefer, LCD or Plasma??

Plasmas are quite power draining, but do have a very good pic on them, also depending on how far you are going to sit from it, eg viewing distance, if you are sitting fairly close, do you really want a 40" as it wont look as good dude..
  6. Niknak

Niknak Member

[Feb 2, 2009]
    I have a samsung 40" and I am very impressed I spent weeks looking searching and plumped for the Samsung

Try AVForums.com it may help
  7. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Feb 2, 2009]
    got a brand new tosh 42ZV555D with 4yr warranty up for grabs, latest top range lcd from them just released, I paid £839 plus 4yr warranty which was what about £150 on top so if interested around the £800 mark, selling cause ended up with 2 tv's through someone's mistake
  8. benr

benr Member

[Feb 2, 2009]
    Phillips get some of the best ratings out there at decent prices..

But personally i cant tell much difference with a decent HD (sky/xbox/ps3) feed with HDMI.

I went for a 32" (720p) samsung for my room as i think they are the best looking tv's and got a 46" (1080p) for my dad and both are amazing.

anyhting 32" and smaller its not worth going for 1080p, thats what ive read on all review sites.
  9. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Feb 2, 2009]
    Pioneer and secondly Panasonic....but to be honest my mate has just got the latest Samsung and I have to say games on it are excellent....if I knew that before we had the Panasonic I would of had one.
    My telly switches off to prevent any burning of the Plasma screen :p when not in use.
  10. fingermouse

fingermouse thats me

[Feb 2, 2009]
    Samsung 40 inch you can`t go wrong.
  11. benr

benr Member

[Feb 2, 2009]
    Agreed. Also i got mine from richer sounds, really good service and you can get then to setup what you want to see different feeds.. they also do a really good 5 year warranty which i dont usually go for but it was only £35 ish
  12. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Feb 3, 2009]
    Another vote for the Samsung!

Although Sony and Panasonic are also excellent but will cost a little more.
  13. abdus

abdus Top Gear VCDS Map User

[Feb 3, 2009]
    if above 46", it is recommended to get a Plasma.

the Sony 40V4000 is a good deal and impressive picture quality.

or the 40W4500 which is also impressive but is almost twice the price of the 40V4000.

it's also a matter of personal taste regarding styling :)

take a look here and read some reviews.: http://whathifi.com/Reviews/TVs-Reviews/TVs-Reviews/Rule-Screen-size-37-40in/

Whathifi gave a 5 star for the 2 Sony mentioned above, in it's 2008 awards

and register on AVforums for more exntended and in-depth opinions
  14. buckas

buckas Member

[Feb 3, 2009]
    samsung's are the daddy :)
  15. Macduff

Macduff Member

[Feb 3, 2009]
    At that price I don't think you'll get a decent Panasonic or Pioneer.

I have a Samsung 6 series LCD which came out very highly in reviews. I compared it to a three other LCDs in JL and it was miles ahead in picture quality. One of the others was a highish end Bravia but I can't remember the exact model.

What you will notice with a LCD over plasma is that the plasma is better on blacks and whites. With the LCD I sometimes lose detail on dark scenes as the screen cannot display them as well. Part of this is down to setup but I can't be bothered changing the setup individually for each movie I watch.

As far as I'm aware, LCDs don't suffer from burn-in in the same way that plasmas do so that may also affect your decision.
  16. SteveTDCi

SteveTDCi Active Member

[Feb 3, 2009]
    I've just gone down the plasma rout, better picture than LCD and a much better viewing angle. Mines a 37" Panasonic and I paid £499 if you want a no frills TV its great. Very good with SD (much better than our Samsung) enough HDMI sockets and the sound isn't bad by flat screen standards
  17. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Feb 3, 2009]
    We have a JVC, but the point of my post is to tell you where we got it from. John lewis offer a price match guarantee and also a five year warranty. They will price match from any online retailer with a walk in shop. Our JVC was for sale at £999 but we got it for £670 with this price match deal including the five year warranty.

You might have to push them but it's worth it IMO.
  18. DaveMK^

DaveMK^ Member

[Feb 3, 2009]
    Pioneer if you can afford it which judging by your budget you wont be able too, go for a panasonic viera, anything over 32" and it has to be a plasma, LCD's suffer from serious motion blur, Watch the Matrix on LCD and Plasma and you will pick plasma everytime.
  19. Nilz

Nilz Defo worth the wait :)

[Feb 3, 2009]
    Was just going to echo what James said JL is the place to get it from, price match and a 5yr warranty, you cant go wrong!!!

Oh and my uncle got a samsung 40" LCD 1080p and he has it connected to a V+ box and we were watching the golf on it last year, and all i can say is the pic was STUNNING!!!
  20. unkle

unkle Beer God

[Feb 4, 2009]
    Got my Gran a 42" Toshiba from Empiredirect just before they went bust, cost £640 absolute bargain, shame they went into liquidation...
  21. tel

tel 4x4 junkie

[Feb 4, 2009]
    i got my samsung when flat screens were new on the market and it still going strong today (touch wood) best tv ive ever bought
  22. auditek

auditek Member

[Feb 5, 2009]
    got myself a 48 inch pioneer plasma. exellent my mate reviewed loads for months. cost me 2.5k 6 mths later it was avail for 1500. bitches !!!!!!!!