1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed, no power and lumpy idle

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by campbell, Jan 2, 2010.

1. campbell

campbell Member

[Jan 2, 2010]
    driving home tonight and put my foot down and the cars power was very lumpy, engine management light flashing on and off constantly, and just no power.

Any body had this and what was the problem? Im changing the plugs this week. My first impressions are coilpacks, any advice is appreciated! Just when im due back at work the car plays up-typical!
    Cheers
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. Essflee

Essflee Well-Known Member

[Jan 2, 2010]
    I'd go with your idea on the coilpacks if the engine management light was flashing during the lumping...
  4. campbell

campbell Member

[Jan 2, 2010]
    cheers for the response. I have had coilpack trouble before and its never been this bad-just miss firing under heavy boost.

Its feels like the car is running on 2-3 cylinders, nearly cutting out etc. Is it possible for 2or more coil packs to go at once? Or do this sound like its in limp mode, does limp mode keep the engine management light on? Cheers
  5. Essflee

Essflee Well-Known Member

[Jan 3, 2010]
    Yeah it definately sounds like at least one coilpack has gone.

Have you any way of getting the fault codes read on your car ? That's the first thing I'd do to insure your not wasting money on something that doesn't need replacing...

I've never had a coilpack go though my mate has. He said it was really bad like yours and he had to limp it home...
  6. s3 Hoggy

s3 Hoggy Whats going on???

[Jan 3, 2010]
    Yeah agree with leggy, sounds exactly the same as when one of my coilpacks went. I phoned the AA they had it sorted within an hour! Not sure if they used an oem part but all has been sound since,

Cheers Matt
  7. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!! VCDS Map User

[Jan 3, 2010]
    cant understand why people dont change all the coils when you first start having issues.....

id plug it into vagcom, but it does sound like ya coils..... there are other things that will have similar symptoms so id still vag it first
  8. campbell

campbell Member

[Jan 3, 2010]
    i have managed to get hold of a coilpack from my local motorshop, not an original audi coilpack but at least it keeps me going. Plugged it into the first two cylinders and cylinder two was the culprit.
    Cheers guys
  9. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!! VCDS Map User

[Jan 3, 2010]
    if i were you id go and buy 4 originals, they are about £2.50 more and wont cause you the issue again....next time you may be further from home, running on 3 cylinders will cause your CAT to fail...and they arent cheap
  10. S3 Rav

S3 Rav Well-Known Member

[Jan 3, 2010]
    i agree with tim. I would change all 4 with oem ones and keep the spare old ones in your boot incase it happens again thats what i did.