Help needed, bad weekend for my car!!

MTRL

Split Grill!
Reaction score
Not being having a good weekend!!

Started off looking at the great weather and thinking i would give my car a treat and go buy a polishing machine. Went and picked one up and within 5 minutes of using it, it packed in so started polishing by hand when it started pouring down. Oh well, these things happen so wasn't overlly annoyed.

Went to take the thing back when I noticed my car has developed a strange rattle/knock that sounds like a cable hitting against the drivers side front trim. Can hear it when jiggling the car about a bit, or turning sharplly.

Now I was a little bit annoyed. Went home to get advice of my brother, took the car for a spin to show him, did a 3 point turn to put it in full lock to check if it was anything to do with that and reversed into a tree!!
DSC02602.jpg

By now I was very annoyed.

When investigating the knocking noise in the rain, the car has now developed another fault for which I need some advice.

Turn the ingition on and there is a loud high piched whine, this gets louder and higher piched the more revs I give it.
It sounds like its coming from this area.

DSC02603-1.jpg

(Excuse the taped up cable in the corner, attempting to source the knocking)

• Its a 2005 2.0 FSI engine, 56,000 miles
  • I had my cambelt and water pump changed about 2 months ago
  • I have put a bar on the altenator and can hear the bearings working fine

Has anybody else had this noise?
What do people think it is?

Many thanks.

Could b the clutch pulpy on your alternator and not the alternator bearings or possibly the self tensioner bearing

Could b the clutch pulpy on your alternator and not the alternator bearings or possibly the self tensioner bearing

Is there some kind of test I can do to check any of these?

not loving the dent! :(

Its not nice, at least it didn't make a mess of the paint so it can wait until everything else is sorted.
Just brought myself some parking sensors.

Yeh take belt of spin bearing on self adjuster and listen to sound will b rough and dry spin alternator pully if it's a couch pully it will only spin one way