Help needed again.

Stuart_A3_Turbo

Reaction score
Yup, this hasnt been a good week for us. Can anyone give me any idea as to why we cant get 2nd and 4th gear? All the others are fine so its the 2 gears that you pull back that we cant get. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Mmmmmm maybe the gearbox has gone? syncromesh in those gears?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif this is the last thing i need, it doesnt sound like the gearbox is screwed as we still have reverse, 1,3,5 gear. Anyone know if it is a large job to do on audi's? This couldnt have been timed worse as i was about to buy sh** loads of stuff for it, thats all down the drain now.

maybe the AA man who came out to fix ur car pinched them ?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

At least ya made me smile /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Well im hoping that its not gonna be a big job, or expensive cause id just planned out how to spend my 2500 quid id saved up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Open da bonnet and have a quick look at the cables coming from the selector to the gearbox and make sure they seem ok. Have a mate change gears as u observe with a beedy eye as to what the linkage is doing. Gearbox's dont just stop working one day! SOmething must be going wrong for a while for it to break.
U been many clutchless gear changes ?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

[ QUOTE ]
U been many clutchless gear changes ??

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif i didnt know that cables for the gears were in the engine bay? what do they look like? just curious. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Erm Riz they look like cables mate !! Duh !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Erm Riz they look like cables mate !! Duh !!

[/ QUOTE ] yeah but under the S3 bonnet theres not much cables about? which ones? do i need to take the covers off? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

Yeah no probs yaar, look under ur bonnet and looking down from the top from where the airbox u will see the gearbox. Directly on top of ur gearbox u will see the linkages for the selecter cables which are directly attatched to the cables themselves.
Any /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif clearer ??

so is the gearbox in the engine bay then? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif i was just curious, always thought that the gearbox was under the gearstick or near there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Nahh Riz the engines are mounted transversly in the S3. hence the gearbox is in the engine bay.
Go outside and have a look and all will be clear. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Dats it !! good boy !! What do u do Riz? Get under da car and clean ur engine/gearbox too ?? Bit too clean for my liking ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

lol...... naaaa that was a pic i took when i first got it...... its still pretty clean now really..... i got one of those jet washer machines...... my exhausts are even better.... check em out...... they done over 16000miles

Funny how we take so much pride in keeping the '********' of the car looking so damn clean ! Hmmm dats sad if u think about it ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif hehe yep sure is........ mmmmmm imagine if they made a bidet for em! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif