Help me to Understand An 8L S3

Pren

Reaction score
Hi everyone,Ive been following this forum for quite a while but this my very first post:icon_thumright:

Im going to buy an 2001 AMK (154Kw)S3 soon but im totally new to the whole turbo thing I know very less when it comes to turbo'd engines or any engine for that matter,I just need some help understanding everything.I have a few questions so any help or links will be much appreciated.Apologies in advanced for the people who will be bugged by this post.

1.What is a 007p Forge?

2.What does a MAF sensor do?

3.What does a Lambda Sensor do?

4.How would you know if an S3 is in limp mode if there is no boost gauge?Is it easy to fit on a boost gauge?

5.If you had around 2K to spend on engine and interior mods what would you spend it on?Im not looking to race my S3 I just want to improve its reliability im looking to keep it for another 80000 miles then get the 8P S3.

6.What oil is the best for the S3?

7.Ive noticed some S3's have a console which can take a Double Din what model is this?The ones I have seen have like a ashtray/little cubby thing under the climate control.

8.also read in one of the threads that the BAM S3 has a different suspension is this suspension more stiffer or does it have a smoother ride?

9.With regards to wear and tear of the seats is the Alcantara more durable than the Nappa leather?Do all S3's have a storage compartment in the front seats?

10.Is it possible to change the LCD display in the speedo to the LCD you get in the 8P A3?Just a thought:eyebrows:

11.What is a decat exhaust system?does fitting a branch make any difference performance wise?I know it sounds much better.

12.Is a bigger intercooler necessary for a stock S3?

13.If an S3 is remapped is there a significant difference in the performance?

14.Was cruise control an option on the S3?

15.What does a N75 valve/sensor do?

16.Common problems with the S3?

17.If I had to replace the turbo with a bigger one do I have to change any of the engine internals?

Thanks again:sm4:

try reading this http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showth...ul-information-enclosed-**Previously-Stickies
S3 suspension is spongey new so I think spend your 2k on remap/suspension/fmic
S3 remapped is a different car so yes to that one
maf sensor -http://autotechrepair.suite101.com/article.cfm/mass_air_flow_sensors
lambda sensor-http://www.picoauto.com/applications/lambda-sensor.html
if the car went into limp mode you would know without a gauge
cruise was an option
nappa v alcantara ? nappas easier to clean but go around a corner too fast and your sitting on the gearknob :)
common problems with the S3...door sensors,roof rails/bumper strips/doors corrosion,alarm battery failure,indicator relay,coilpacks,coolant temp. sensor,vacum hose leaks,DIS pixel failure

Your suffering what I am...the frivilous use of brand names, product numbers and abbreviations....Im an trained engineer and half of what this lot talk about still dont make sense :)

I only just worked out that FMIC is an intercooler front mounted, I aint hip enough see

1.What is a 007p Forge? - Aftermarket diverter valve used in place of the OEM one for bling and improved reliability

2.What does a MAF sensor do? - measure the air entering the engine so the ECU knows how much fuel to use with it

3.What does a Lambda Sensor do? - tells the ECU the air/fuel mixture ratio.

4.How would you know if an S3 is in limp mode if there is no boost gauge?Is it easy to fit on a boost gauge? - Car would feel slow in limp mode. Boost gauge is easy enough to fit, plenty of threads so have a search :)

5.If you had around 2K to spend on engine and interior mods what would you spend it on?Im not looking to race my S3 I just want to improve its reliability im looking to keep it for another 80000 miles then get the 8P S3. - Remap and suspension would essentially sort you out... Go for Bilstien B8 dampers and H&R -25mm springs. Remap wise, there are loads of discussions about this everyone has a preference but personally I would stick to Revo or Custom Code as they are tried and tested. Revo gives a more spiky boost delivery and feels really strong, Custom Code is a more OEM like progressive map... personal choice really but you can get a Revo trial for free to see for yourself..

6.What oil is the best for the S3? - fully synthetic 5w30 or 5w40. I use Fuchs Titan Super Syn available from GSF at £20ish for 5 litres and change my oil every 5 or 6 k.

7.Ive noticed some S3's have a console which can take a Double Din what model is this?The ones I have seen have like a ashtray/little cubby thing under the climate control. - Double din Symphony was an option and is an indash 6 disc changer too.

8.also read in one of the threads that the BAM S3 has a different suspension is this suspension more stiffer or does it have a smoother ride? - There is a different suspension pack that was an option IIRC but just get Bilstiens with the 2k you plan to spend...

9.With regards to wear and tear of the seats is the Alcantara more durable than the Nappa leather?Do all S3's have a storage compartment in the front seats? - Alcantara does wear if not maintained, the drivers seat on mine was a mess when I bought my car (got me some cash off the price too) but can be brought up nice with a bit of effort using a debobbling thingy and careful cleaning. Both leather and alcantara seats will need a certain amount of looking after if you want to keep them at their best. I have a silver alcantara interior and I think it looks classier than plain black leather...

10.Is it possible to change the LCD display in the speedo to the LCD you get in the 8P A3?Just a thought:eyebrows: - Good luck with that ;P

11.What is a decat exhaust system?does fitting a branch make any difference performance wise?I know it sounds much better. - Don't bother with decat, the restriction in the exhaust on an S3 is the downpipe and potentially the system itself (I managed 383bhp on a std system but it was being restrictive by then). Go for 3" downpipe, sports CAT (keeps the car legal) and a Miltek (or orther) exhaust

12.Is a bigger intercooler necessary for a stock S3? - IMO yes... there is a thread about FMIC's in the stickies in this forum....

13.If an S3 is remapped is there a significant difference in the performance? - yarp...

14.Was cruise control an option on the S3? - yes but easy and pretty cheap to fit with original parts... I did this to mine and use it all the time... brilliant mod...

15.What does a N75 valve/sensor do? - N75 valve controls the boost by operating the turbo's wastgate actuator

16.Common problems with the S3? - Boost leaks, vacuum leaks (lots of pipes to split... and they do), depends on how well the car has been looked after but essestially the car is typically fine, engines probs are more or less the same for any 1.8t engined VAG car... sensors such as the MAF sensor go frequently, coil packs and clutches.

17.If I had to replace the turbo with a bigger one do I have to change any of the engine internals? - Yes... see my build thread for more info (link in my sig)

<tuffty/>

Your suffering what I am...the frivilous use of brand names, product numbers and abbreviations....Im an trained engineer and half of what this lot talk about still dont make sense :)

I only just worked out that FMIC is an intercooler front mounted, I aint hip enough see

Ha ha ya I know what you mean Ive been reading threads over and over again just to pick up on some of the stuff.

Thanks Voorhees that helped a lot.

Nice post Tuffy, now we are here might as ask.

I'd like to get some spacers, 10mm front, 15mm rear. Will the standard wheel locking pins be fine?

Thanks

seem to remember anything over 5mm needed new bolts and locking nuts doood

So can you get away with 5mm spacers with using the standard bolts ? or not recommended

I have 10mm front and 15mm rear... std lock bolts do not work and the bolt lengths front are different to the rears... when I get a chance (and remember) I will take a bolt out of each and measure them.

I had to cut down the supplied bolts for the 10mm spacers as they were too long and lock against the hub effectively seizing the wheel.

<tuffty/>

Ok more questions

1. When cleaning the MAF, where should the electrical cleaner spray be applied?

Into the intake?

DSCN6043.JPG

2. Where can the central locking pump be found, I think it is faulty and needs a refrub

3. Heated door mirrors, is only the drivers side that heats up?

4. Where can I get replacement/ refrub interior buttons? Aircon/temp and below

2djvu4i.jpg

Last edited:
If your mirror is not heating up then the element has gone in the mirror, easy fix just need to buy and replace the mirror glass not to much to buy from audi either

14.Was cruise control an option on the S3? - yes but easy and pretty cheap to fit with original parts... I did this to mine and use it all the time... brilliant mod...

<tuffty/>

Anymore info on this tuffty..? Any build threads on the site? Part numbers and prices pulleeaseee..:w00t:

Blair.