Help me get my 1.8t to stop running like crap

Lingo89

Reaction score
So my AUM 1.8t is running like absolute crap and I'm unsure as to what I should do next. The car is reluctant to start, but it will and when it does it idles pretty much fine (odd jitter here and there, nothing worrying) but as soon as I try and take it for a drive it's so down on power it feels more like a 180cc car than a 1800cc car (literally struggles to get up a hill!)

I've run the car through VCDS and a preliminary scan gave me the following fault codes:

5 Faults Found

16621 - Manifold Pressure / Boost Sensor (G31): Signal too Low
P0237 - 35-00 - -
16490 - Manifold / Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71) / (F96): Implausible Signal
P0106 - 35-00 - -
16727 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Signal too High
P0343 - 35-00 - -
18041 - Accelerator Position Sensor 2 (G185): Signal too Low
P1633 - 35-00 - -
16486 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Signal too Low
P0102 - 35-00 - -

I then cleared all faults, started the car, took it for a drive again and got the exact same faults. It's interesting to note that this is a recurring fault that will come back the second I have cleared all faults (even if the car isn't started!)

Fault Codes have been Erased

1 Fault Found
1 - Manifold Pressure / Boost Sensor (G31): Signal too Low
P0237 - 35-00 - -

Everything is wired up correctly as far as I can tell... any thoughts as to what is up? can this fault cause my car to run like absolute rubbish? or could it be something else?

I've uploaded a video to try and demonstrate the problem, note I'm full throttling the car both times I hit red-line. The first time I rev it seems to be okay, the second time it's a jittery mess that doesn't seem to want to be revved:

VID 20121118 00006 - YouTube

Last edited:
Everything is wired up correctly as far as I can tell...

attachment.php

See your first thread.

Your map sensor isn't connected either at the sensor end or at the loom.

If it was connected but faulty the fault code would say it was "implausable signal" because the readings were out of tolerances and the ECU couldn't make sense of it. What it's telling you is that it can't pick up ANYTHING, IE the signal is to low/not there at all.

With the MAP sensor disconnected the vehicle will drive like normal if you are easy on the throttle, it'll be stuck at 5PSI soft limp mode and when you put your foot down it will stutter and drive like **** as you have described. Because the MAF is sensing x amount of air and the map sensor isn't seeing it at the other end.

Get off ASN, and go fix your map sensor. :p

Sorry guys, I should have mentioned I have now managed to re-wire my map sensor, was just three wires that needed to be connected back to the loom. Soldered them back together. These are readings after the map sensor was re-wired up.

Sure you have got the sensor connected properly? The plug has a dust seal in it which is very thick and unless clicked all the way in it won't get a reading. Otherwise I am sorry to say that you must have go amiss somewhere :p

If your sensor is so ****ed that it can't get a reading at all then I have a brand new Bosch sensor which I purchased last week which you can have for £50 posted. (£20 cheaper than if you went to TPS and got one)