Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Right, looks like my Golf has to go! It's had a few things gone wrong with it since I've had it, the common leaking heater matrix which I replaced last year, rusted fuel accumulator, which cost me £165 in parts alone last week, and now it's developed a light oil leak from the sump.

With my Passat currently at 152k miles, and my other half refusing to drive my Golf as it's 19 years old, I need to purchase a runabout for her to take jojo jnr to school come September, so plenty of time for me to have a think and make a choice.

My S3 is too tuned for me to let my missus waste it for a school drop off before anyone asks.... it's my weekend toy ok!:eyebrows:

I'm very choosy when it comes to motors, in that I will never purchase anything french, so Clio's and Saxo's are a nono, but I like the idea of owning an Audi A2, possibly a TDI model with £35 a year road tax, which is tempting, but good ones are hard to find with my £5ish budget.
My Dad has offered to give me his 04 plate Volvo S40 1.6S with 17k miles on the clock which I've currently borrowed, but it's the slowest machine known to man, with lifeless steering, and an even worse gearchange, doesn't even feel it's engaged gear!!
Basically, my heart says keep the Golf, she can use the Passat, my mind says have the Volvo, it's free, and it's new'ish and the Missus says, buy a nice A2, she likes'em....
I've thought about taking the Volvo, then chopping it in for a more expensive motor altogether, but it won't go down well with my Dad lol.

Suggestions please.

Can you not just change the wife?

keep the golf...
keep the golf...
keep the golf...
keep the golf...
keep the golf...
keep the golf...
keep the golf...
keep the golf...
keep the golf...
keep the golf...
keep the golf...

you will regret it... im selling mine as i pretty much have no choice!! that golf owes me ££££!! life goes on tho eh!!

keep the golf...
keep the golf...
keep the golf...
keep the golf...
keep the golf...
keep the golf... :shutup2:

keep the golf...
keep the golf...
keep the golf...
keep the golf...
keep the golf...
keep the golf...
keep the golf...
keep the golf...
keep the golf...
keep the golf...
keep the golf...

you will regret it... im selling mine as i pretty much have no choice!! that golf owes me ££££!! life goes on tho eh!!

keep the golf...
keep the golf...
keep the golf...
keep the golf...
keep the golf...
keep the golf... :shutup2:

I always wanted one from the day I passed my test in 1995, so brought the one I have on impulse from a friend of mine who owned it for 9 years when he put it up for sale. I've enjoyed every minute of ownership to be honest, and fixing it with a Haynes manual is lots of fun, took me three days on and off to change the heater matrix, it's a pig of a job!. Unfortunately with these cars, age is getting to them, with general wear and tear parts starting to fail, but the body is still good, no major rot that you can see anyway.
Very sad to see it go if I sell it, even my kid loves it, he had such a huge grin when I go to pick him up in it, I keep telling him it's special, it's a GTI!

my honest choice would be the Volvo, its not like you have to drive it much , nad then you can spend the 5k upgrading the S3???

The volvo may not be fun to drive but your not driving it so it shouldn't matter, and its one of the safest cars around which is always a good thing.
I've got an '88 mk2 golf 16v GTI and i love it, unfortunatly its being sold as baby number 2 on route has forced me to buy another car...but its a 1.8t sport so thats all good! If i didnt have to borrrow the money for the a4 i defo would not be selling the golf. Its such a good car, reliable, quick, s**t hot handling and most of all ...... FUN!

The volvo may not be fun to drive but your not driving it so it shouldn't matter, and its one of the safest cars around which is always a good thing.
I've got an '88 mk2 golf 16v GTI and i love it, unfortunatly its being sold as baby number 2 on route has forced me to buy another car...but its a 1.8t sport so thats all good! If i didnt have to borrrow the money for the a4 i defo would not be selling the golf. Its such a good car, reliable, quick, s**t hot handling and most of all ...... FUN!
The Volvo's safe alright, it doesn't excite you to make you push it a little lol....

Agree with all you said about the Golf, but I'm too use to having toys like Climate control and leccy windows(my Golf has windy wondows). I think I've spent more on maintenance that what I actually paid for the car also, but it's never actually failed to start yet!

A2 is a very roomy car but don't go above fifty with the windows down or yer ears will bleed

Dude, i would say keep the golf, but it looks like thats not an option anymore, so in that case why dont you get the Volvo, its free after all, then after 6 months, make some lame excuse to your old man and blame the missus into saying its got an issue with it or something, then chop it in with the 5k you have???

Id say do anything but get the A2. Theres a couple of them here at work and I dont think I have ever heard anything nice about them.

Dude, i would say keep the golf, but it looks like thats not an option anymore, so in that case why dont you get the Volvo, its free after all, then after 6 months, make some lame excuse to your old man and blame the missus into saying its got an issue with it or something, then chop it in with the 5k you have???

This gets my vote, and in 6months time use the 5k, the proceeds from the selling the volvo & your 16v as a down payment on a new Scirocco......happy days.