Help me become a proud 1st time buyer/owner :D

DrSasso

Reaction score
Hello B8 forums! new face here but I'm sure you'll see me pop up more and more frequently :)

Since my dads company A4 1.9tdi avant many years ago I have fallen in love with the feel and styling of audi and told myself I must have one... so years later I have finished university, have a job and been debating the idea for a while.

past half year I've started to look a lot more seriously into getting my own and so here I am.... still without an Audi to call my own :( I've seen some good examples I would have been happy with but usually after thinking it over the car has already been snapped up :( I'm getting a bit frustrated in all honesty :( I would ideally like to have my new car within the next month.

I know pretty much what I want but finding it is a different kettle of fish and I'm not too sure if I'm asking too much. So Would like some feedback/opinions and some general help in my search please :D

so there's the background nonsense... onto the good stuff.. what do I want?

I currently drive a 1.5crdi kia rio and looking to upgrade to something better...so why not ;)

I am looking to purchase an:

Audi A4 B8 (2008-> ) (surprise surprise as I'm in this section ;) )
Saloon - like the shape and bigger than my current car
Petrol 2.0 TFSI Quattro -don't really need diesel as only do about 10k miles a year, mostly town with a few extended trips each year in the few hundred miles range
Manual - I like changing gears :D (not driven the s-tronic though.... but I'd feel lazy xD )
S-Line - again styling and extras
preferably with parking plus and satnav, B&O would be nice too but the standard audi audio is pretty beast by itself.

Budget... now this is the tricky part.... I'm going to say sub £13,000 ...but...it's complicated..

originally I was looking at B7s with a loose budget of £8,000, but finding something that ticked the boxes (sat nav wasn't so important on the b7) was hard without huge milessssss and after many random discussion with friends/relatives/other forums it was suggested to put in a bit more capital and get a B8 instead.

this was for several reasons, I prefer the lines of the b8 models (though did like the split exhausts over the twin on one side :p ), they are a little bigger I believe, they all come with 60/40 folding rear seats (which is a must for me as I like that option to extend the boot when I got on small trips, I'm really into my tech there are so many buttons it would keep me entertained for a lifetime!

I also took a a4 black edition 2.0tdi 143 for a test drive a month or so ago and just loved everything about it! granted I was a bit confused by the MMI workings as I only had 45 mins but managed to change the radio station and work the sat nav so was getting there ;)

So I've been hunting down cars on autotrader, audi used, approved audi franchises (e.g. sinclairs of swansea) for something that ticks the boxes, gets me excited and a compromised balance between age/features/mileage/cost......and boy is it hard!!!!! to be fair the past few months I've seen some great cars but during my "thinking" time they've been snapped up :( so what I'm left with now seems where ever I look they just keep going up in price :\

So to summarise, Audi A4 B8 Saloon 2.0TFSI Quattro S-Line with satnav/parking/possibly B&O

all for around >£13,000 .... Is this possible or is it just wishful thinking?

here's what I'm looking at currently: Audi A4 2.0T FSI QUATTRO S LINE 4DR Satellite Navigation 2008
basically the best example I can find that I'd be happy with :D but the price is pushing a bit too high for my liking, originally was 10k for car and insurance/tax/extras, but now sorta upped to £13k to try and get a b8 model instead of b7.

other possibles but don;t have satnav :
Audi A4 2.0T FSI QUATTRO S LINE 4DR 2010
Audi A4 2.0T FSI Quattro S Line 4dr Saloon 2009

edit: (another possible if sacrifice satnav) Audi A4 2.0T FSI Quattro S Line 4dr Saloon 2009
but again, these are on/over the upper end of my ideal budget.

Ok sorry for the massiveeeee post but thought I'd try and get it all out in one go haha... probably still forgotten something :p so what do you guys and gals think? I really want to aim to get something within the next month as it's been going on for so long now and I'm also going on one of my little trips mid/late august so want to have it to drive then :D !!!!

(p.s. I havent driven a 2.0 tfsi yet but am trying to sort a test drive asap)

Last edited:
First off
Hello and Welcome to Audi-Sport.net ! :)
The 2.0Tfsi is a fantastic engine and i am sure you will love it.
As you said, with the spec you require for just 13k is quite wishful thinking but it depends on how much really you actually want to spend, In most cases the more you spend on buying the car then the better it will be.
Anyway i hope you find your car and if you are looking for any advice or you have any questions then please feel free to post them upon on here and somebody will get back to you :)

I picked up my Audi a few months ago, It is the same spec as your after apart from the Quattro and the Petrol.

It's a 2009 A4 S-Line in Monza Silver, with the 2.0 TDI 143PS lump. It has the Bang & Olufsen system (Awesome), Milano Leather etc..

It was bought main dealer Audi Norwich, with 3 years extended warranty etc.

It had 48,000 miles on it.

I paid £15,000

Hope this helps.

thanks guys :D yea most of the ones I've seen are a few K either way of £15k./... was thinking I am wishing for a bit much.....but not impossible. after thinking the past few days (my be delusional from the heat!!!!! :p ) but thinking about sacrificing the satnav from the car as it does put a limit on my option and to be honest.... I don;lt really need it... got satnav on my phone and only need that when I go on long travels.... and even then I can guess most of the route from road signs :D

on that note, going for a model without satnav... what else do i lose, functionality wise? obv the navigation but there's the MMI interface behind the gearstick and it put on the dash on the radio.... do I lose things like the SD card reader too for music? what else is the difference between the two packages? :p

so possibly thinking I'm leaning towards the last car I linked in my OP as it's bang on £13k so could probably haggle down to atleast 12.5k maybe 12.... if i'm lucky. It is private sale though and probably would prefer from a garage/dealership. but the hunt is still going so am really hoping something will pop up that's almost too good to be true... but isn't ;)

one of the things I am possibly going to be doing it going on a driving holiday to ireland when I get the car and also possibly driving/ferry to holland to visit some friends out there. just wondering if I'll get raped with the MPG as it's petrol rather than diesel... though have seen on here and in other forums that you can get pretty decent mpg on the motorway so would be toooooooo much different? It's just these like once/twice a year long journeys... most of the time it's like just too and from work and visiting family on weekend which is only like 40 mins drive :)

so what ya guys think about that £13k car? look decent enough to start asking questions? :D

p.s....what questions shouldn't I ask haha... :p

p.p.s. Dynamik....your car is stunning by the way! Damnnnnn! :D

Last edited:
well that's a good starting opinion hehe :Don another forums I'm on it has been suggested that I holdout/ sacrifice other things to get the MMI/nav as without them it limites the retrofit-ability of many options (BT, nav, phone, parking+). Also was said that the non-MMI controls are a bit slow and don;t have as good music functionality.

Now personally I'd rather have the 2.0t quattro sline than sacrifice that for something lesser (i.e. 1.8t non quattro/SE) and get the MMI, but wondering if there are opinions on the non-MMI controls....

I've seen it is possible to retrofit the 3G MMI nav to replace the audi concert radio.... although it is quite costly (a few £K) from companies like kufatec, but that's something I could always look into further down the line....maybe use next years bonus for it ;)

so from the other forums they would suggest going for this one (was linked in OP as it has most things (I think, NAV phone B&O etc etc: Audi A4 2.0T FSI QUATTRO S LINE 4DR Satellite Navigation 2008

but it's £3k ish more expensive so a bit over what I was aiming to spend, older and done more miles :\ what ya think?

Last edited:
I spent 7 months trying to find the spec/colour I wanted and I had to sacrifice the Quattro option for that! Not that I have missed it, the handling is great on the standard version!

Welcome DrSasso!

u have the same taste as me!
exact same spec apart from i want a Tiptronic (auto)!!!

u have a better luck thn me - since more manuals abt!!!

this is the best i found so far for myself (but no park sensors nor s-line :-()
Audi A4 2.0T FSI Quattro SE 4dr S Tronic Extended Audi Warranty 2009

0F8CD128-9646-4F85-9334-6BA70320177A-8810-00001223D54C7C14_zps8b6525a4.jpg

if u find any cars with auto (but your spec) - let me know!

good luck with your search!

pS: if u find both cars from audi - then we can go in as collective bargaining! Lol

hey chan110 thanks xD

yea we have good taste ;) haha

if ya willing to jump up to the 3.2 non turbo i've seen this one: Audi A4 S-Line Quattro 3.2 Auto FSI 4dr 2008

seems pretty kitted up and it's an auto with flappy paddles ;)

yea scottishs3 i've been hunting for a good while now but only really, full on seriously for about half a year :p to be fair the handling when i went for a test drive in the 143ps tdi black edition was nice! just gripped the road like nobodies business!!! I'm just sick of waiting around and watching opportunities pass me by :(

had the ok from another friend regarding the £14k car :D said should get a bit knocked off for the small scuff on the bumper ;) am really leaning towards this car now :)

Cheers mate!

I did choose the 3.2 over the 2.0t (thinking less turbo = less problems).
So I test driven that 3.2 from JCT600 - and didn't like the power delivery of the 3.2 :-(
Besides - its got no parking sensors ...

JCT600 knocked off £500 when I saw it.
Now thy knocked off another £500 - so must be getting desperate!

ay i've been checking most sources daily...if not hourly haha! xD but haven't seen those first two so thanks!

ummm well i prefer the DRLs of the FL b8's, much prefer that it's a bar than being able to see the individual leds :p can always retrofit... but they are damn expensive! assuming would have to replace the entire headlight unit (not sure if the bumper would need changing too :\ )

not entirely sure of the rest of the changes from pre-fl to fl, maybe some slightly more aggressive lines on it? :p not eve sure which year it was brought it :(

ay just searched them all, not much there xD haha or nothing that really tickles my fancy more.

oh really? xD if we both get the opposite we can always swap later down the line haha! ... though just looked and it does look like the bumpers would have to be swapped too :p ay either way they are both nice but i do prefer the bar version that's the other way up on the a5 ;)

That 3.2 i test driven...
the pre-FL look just looks awesome! :)

B353C8C5-E398-4BA4-98F6-DFFBEF6E6FEE-4320-0000084FB315CB76_zps31dd68d9.jpg

The courtesy car i had in june which persuaded me i NEED an Audi A4 (over my current car Skoda Superb)!!!!
Lol

3D138ED0-0939-4459-8E96-DA1DA5E44BF7-664-000001CE8DC3D9AB_zpsabccceea.jpg

A65A2A38-E8FB-467B-B46A-10A1320E406A-664-000001CEB90AEFB2_zpsf47f39f4.jpg

4A8B5627-ACC2-4E57-BA20-9E51CA7771C4-664-000001CE69467DAB_zpscb8ccd6f.jpg

CLICK pic to see VIDEO!

haha that's stunning! xD here's the one i took for a test drive during an audi showcase a few months back ;)

excuse the terrible camera work, was a quick snap uploaded to facebook and so lost a bit of quality :( but damn was it a pleasure to drive! love the climate control hehe

603897_10152857903960010_2103715087_n.jpg

thanks :D one of the nicer days we have here in south wales :D asked a few mates and they think the 14k one is a tidy buy :D think I'm going to start my enquiries with it.

so what should I be asking? things i should bring up? what should I mention about pricing (if anything at this stage) to try and get some money down? I need all the help I can get xD

thinking topics to bring up:
ask about the MOT and servicing they offer (will it be done through audi dealership? this included in the price or barter for free/discount? if things need doing will they cover the cost?)
ask that I should expect it to be valeted for free? (as they offer it too in the advert)
mention about the scuff on the bumper and argue some money off? (how much should I be expecting)

asking general drivability of the car, how it was in its last MOT, any work done/advisories?
any issue of the car they are aware of?
ask about how is it with oil consumption? (as I'm aware that the 2.0tfsi like to have a sip of that delicious oil :p and by sip I mean chug in some cases lol )
any blue/grey smoke when driving about?

mention I would like to come and test drive it, what should I be looking/listening out for when test driving? knocks, bangs, fizzles?

any tips/pointers welcome :D I'll probably be either going down with my father or brother in-law (or both) and they both have experience buying cars, both been sales men and they always get money off stuff xD

Hi mate

Looks good.

Sorry - I m too new to know wot to look out for in Audi s.

But in general this is my chk:
Mot : I assume car just got 1st MOT this year?
Get mot number of em and chk advisories on www.motinfo.gov

If car is insured, it should be on www.ask mid.com

Just make sure car details + tax expiry date matches the DVLA:
https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/enquiry?execution=e3s1

Sad, but I actually go round with a small magnet to see where there is body repair work (used filler)

Do a hpi check (cheapest abt £4 - but expensive ones give u more cover).

Get money off for any non-working electrics etc / damage (passenger bumper or driver bumper dent) - unless thy fix

Ensure engine cold when arrived.
Ensure no milky gunge under filler cap.
If cap dark oil - due oil change?

If blue smoke from exhaust - RUN!
all electrics work, air con cold, stereo etc
Test drive in all roads, all speeds, reverse, full lock, park sensors beep.

Alarm works.
All tyres plenty of tread.
Spares
Lights all work.....

p.p.s. Dynamik....your car is stunning by the way! Damnnnnn! :D[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much :)

ummm don;t think it has an mot yet, in the advert it states they cna do the mot/service if required. so porbably opt in for that. gunna get a HPI check done tonight or tomorrow, brother in-law has suggested to phone them up and say i'm interested and ask them to hold it for me for a viewing, or i could just be wasting £20 for a hpi if they sell it xD

a friends friend has offered me the use of their paint thickness tool (how ever that works? :p ) to go round and check for repair patches. assume it will be a more sophisticated method than magnets ;) (although it could just be a glorified magnet xD )

and woof! bit oh a list! but that's what I need... rock up there with my clipboard and pen and give the car a grilling ;)

blue smoke indicating burning an excess of oil? will there be oil on the base of the cap? would say use the dipstick but I know from research that they don't have one as standard and oil level is through the audi information screen (but you can buy the dipstick and fit it yourself as they use them in the audi garages ;) )

possibly going down to view it this weekend, if i can drag my dad away from the garden haha! with regarding test drives does the sales dude come with you or leave you to it? or is everywhere different?

also ya welcome dynamic ;) hopefully soon I'll have something that will look, not quite as bad a$$ but close ;)

U right mate.
no dipstick - so just look under oil cap.

paint meter, i think are those electronic gadget that when
pressed against the paintwork - will tell u thickness of paint.

someone on here will tell u wot the new paint thickness should be.
But if the paint is very thick (re-spray and potential repair job?)
if thin, then bodywork polished too much (by rotary polisher)?

Dependent on how far u travel,
trust the seller,
i usually do the hpi check on the spot after seen/driven/liked the car (and agreed a deal)....

...but thats just me.

yea, i'll see if i can get the paint meter and google what i should be looking for.

yea gunna get a HPI check done and also ask it it's alright to possibly get the AA (am a member) to come give the car one of their check overs (if can get them in time or possibly put down a deposit subject to the results from the check).

It's a fair distance at ~150miles :p any thing around here either isn't spec or a lot more expensive (usually newer plates)

AA will be around £180
Plus a few days to arrange.
But thy can give u a verbal report on day of inspection.

Its a big round trip for u!
The furthest I been was 200miles from Yorkshire to Windsor -
For such a trip I usually try to buy on the day and drive the new car back!

Looking at quite a few Audi s in Scotland,
I may break the 200mile record buying my 1st Audi - eeek!

yea buying it on the day would be ideal really :D

going to phone up costal this lunch to see if the car is there, express interest, ask some questions about the car and the offered MOT and servicing (want it to be with audi and not them to get that stamp ;) ). Also state that I'd like to come down and view the car on saturday (prob drive there for first thing.... god i hate mornings lol) and also at somepoint during the next few days got AA to come along and give it their check over.

the check over is going to be £264 as it's quattro so need the 4 wheel drive check at the added premium :p really hope they'll get it done before sat so I can have the report to go there with :p

hummm pretty nervous now xD feel like I'm going to forget/overlook something vital :p

Last edited:
hey shariain, thanks for the response :D yea i've been looking at the main audi and my local franchise audi for apporved used but the cheapest/closest to what I want is £17k :\ so quite a chunk more.... I would prefer to buy from audi but It's just that much more of a capital investment for what's been available recently the past month or so.... even older than that they've been £15k+

EDIT: scratch that car..... it's been sold :( was sold on sunday and is still listed up on the website.... ***! another one slipped through my fingers

and so the hunt goes on!!! but now it's pretty much spend at least another 3K or nothing :(

Last edited:
Damn!

Sorry to hear!

if any consolation, u in same boat as me :)

Looks like a bargain!

for that price - cant complain!

go and check it out - before itz gone!

No parking sensors
nor satnav :-(

but big bling 19" :)

I imagine it would have the rear acoustics? that's standard I thought? yea sucks about the nav...

but yea dem 19"s ... and also has the B&O ;) but I just can;t get over that mileage... is 20k a year... not tooooo bad but just looks too much for me :(

Yeah
sounds like a rep or manager car.
still - unless its an ex-taxi, then motorway miles are good.

unless i need to go to spec savers - i cant see any rear park sensors!
the 2008 3.2 s-line i test driven DEFFO had NO rear sensors :-(

ahhh thanks for that! something to ask them about when I call up. yea motorway miles are good but I'd prefer half that mileage haha XD

ok looking at this one now: 2009 AUDI A4 S LINE QUATTRO 211 TFSI SILVER | eBay

emailed the dude asking about the cam belt, is it mostly motorway miles as averaging <18k per year, if it has rear parking sensors, what's the oil consumption like after the work that's been done. see how quickly the dude gets back to me :D

also emailed the guy I saw in audi on wednesday to ask if he could check the SH is legit and what are his opinions on the advert/car :D prob pop along after work to go see audi swansea in person ;)

edit:
ok had a response from the dude, says it's a chain and not a belt? so doesn't need doing? i dunno xD used for distance driving which is good. no rear sensors but can get that retro fitted ;) oil is behaving apparently and there a small scratch on the drivers door.... still sounds good to me :D

Last edited:
Dunno abt Audi s

but previous car i had with cam chain meant they are good for 160k+ ?
basically unless u want drive the car til kingdom come,
cam chains should last the time u own it (10+ years)?
after that might need replacing or a little tightening?

oh this is so exciting!
u gona buy?