help me !!!!!!!!!1

youngaudiboy

Reaction score
hey everyone my names dan and im 16 just bought my very first audi its a 1997 audi a4 2.8 quatro i spent almost two years of work to save up for this car and now i finally have it there are a few things i would like to know, first off does my model have a resonator and if it does if i remove it will it help horse power any or give me a nice sounded pich also after how many miles does the timing belt have to be changed - sry everyone im knew in the world of audi i owned a vw previous, i am willing to learn from the best.. thanks guys

Welcome Youngaudiboy! Nice choice for a first car. Mine was a Datsun 100A, followed by a 900cc Polo. Had to wait till I was 36 to get my A4 2.8Q. You kids......
It is vital the timing belt is changed at 80k miles. It should be logged in the service manual. Please tell me your baby has done at least 80k miles!
Don't know about the resonator, but I'm sure someone will know. Thought you could only get significant hp with a complete free flow exhaust minus the CAT?
Isn't 193bhp enough for you wippersnappers?
Cheers, Andy

Hi Dan.

Welcome to the forum & congrats on choosing a 2.8 Quattro. It's a great, great car. Is yours a 30-valver? If so, it should be putting out about 193bhp. Can't help you on the resonator question, as I don't know what a resonator is. My service book tells me (& this has been confirmed elsewhere on the forum) that the timing belt should be changed at 80,000 miles.

Hope you have a great time with the car.

All the best

Jeff

thanks for the warm welcome guys it feels good to have this car - so u guys are suggesting that i rip my cat would this be a good idea give me some better flowage and sound becuase i deff want sound i will rip my cat out in a sec if all this is true - the car wont start smoken right please postme back im a anxious youngen thanks

Just a question to anyone, does ripping out the cat effect the MOT emissions testing?

[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:
Just a question to anyone, does ripping out the cat effect the MOT emissions testing?

[/ QUOTE ]

It can do, not in all cases will doing away with the CAT effect emisions, but in most cases it will. So the best option is to get an exhaust company to make a straight through pipe with flanges on either end and then add corresponding flanges to suit on the remaining exhaust pipe and the CAT, so at the time of MOT you can simply bolt in the CAT. Bear in mind that you can't just remove the CAT on latter systems where there are two lambda sensors fore and aft of the CAT as this will bring up all sorts of errors.

Removing the CAT will definately bring a bit more exhaust noise, as it is the most restrictive part of the system.

"you can't just remove the CAT on latter systems where there are two lambda sensors fore and aft of the CAT as this will bring up all sorts of errors."

so what will be the proper way of taking it off??

Youngaudiboy,
I like your question, and welcome to the boards. I am also curious about this mod. Gammba, what constitutes a "latter" system like you mentioned earlier? Also, I would be curious in finding out that website you mentioned.
Thanks
-Brad

who here loves there car cuz with everyday i love it more and more --hey does anyone know where i can get a nice intake for my car its crucial-thnks brothers andmaybe some sisters-youngaudiboy