1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Installing Kenwood music Keg cable

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by phillj, Jul 31, 2003.

1. phillj

phillj Member

[Jul 31, 2003]
    Hi everyone,

I have just purchased the kenwood music keg.

[​IMG]
    It hasn't arrived yet, however I thought I would do my home work before the install. I need to run the cable from the Head Unit at the front to the little cubby hole were the sub is at the back (preferably following the route of the standard cabling that is there at present). Does anyone have pics and instructions from an install they have done?

Any help would be greatfully recieved /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also I would highly recommend www.caraduiodirect.com, who are doing me a cracking deal on this and have also got the Kenwood KDC-8024 on sale at the moment for £249.99!!! Check them out they are very knowledgable!! If you live in Oxfordshire there sister shop Oxford Car Audio (Marston Oxford) are very good, I wouldn't buy from anyone else now!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 31, 2014]

3. Mo-S3

Mo-S3 Member

[Jul 31, 2003]
    Hi Phill, what kind of pictures u looking for? The back of the head unit ? or around the sub area??
  4. will_S3

will_S3 Member

[Jul 31, 2003]
    slightly off topic but not to much how do you remove the s3 seats, will doing so cause troubles with the airbags on the seats.

needed for running cables under carpets etc for ice system

thanks

5. mramage

mramage Member

[Jul 31, 2003]
    Hi Phil. Depending on the cable you might get away with not taking the rear side passenger compartment panel off, but I doubt it.

Best thing is probably to take the glovebox out, the side footwell trim, sill trim and side panel trim mentioned above. That gives you enough access to allow pulling the cable through from the sub cubby hole without a fuss.

Glovebox aside (and maybe the footwell trim as I recall), things just pull out, but be careful to use a constant increase in force to find the de-anchoring point. It feels horrible pulling at the trim, but it's how it comes off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I don't have any pics, but it sounds like Mo is on the ball there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

6. Mo-S3

Mo-S3 Member

[Jul 31, 2003]
    Will, if u move the seat completely back u will a HEX bolt (i think) on each slide rail. The same applies to the rear when u move the seat forward. However u will need to remove the plastic covers on the tunnel which are clipped in. Most likely will break too. And im not too sure without looking at mine outside, there are 2 more covers held in with a screw on the chrome bar where the seat belts slide.
    The seats have to be slid backwards and out of the rails and manouvered out of the car after disconnecting the cables underneath.
    Best to disconnect ur battery just in case for the airbag safety.
    BEWARE : the seats are FECKIN heavy and may need 2 of u guys to manouvre them out of the car with out damaging any trim.

Cheers
  7. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 31, 2003]
    If it's just a bus cable, you can get away with just removing the sill panel. The cable can be easily pushed underneath the rear panel, and panel in the footwell.
  8. phillj

phillj Member

[Aug 3, 2003]
    Hi guys,

Thank's for your help so far. Unfortunatly I am a little stuck now. [​IMG]

I cannot see how to get the door sills off. When I do I have to get a plastic connector about 7.5 mm height by 45 mm width down the trunking (when I can get to it!). It is a 2001 3 door model (if that makes a diff).

Also when I came to start the car the battery was flat. this has happened before and on both occasions I haven't used the electrics much with the power off. I used the old head unit 4 or 5 times more with the power off and this gave me no problems. If you have any advise on why this might be it would be appreciated.

Here is a picture of how far I have got. [​IMG]
  9. Mo-S3

Mo-S3 Member

[Aug 3, 2003]
    Hi Phill, to get the sill covers off u need to remove the small Torx screw on the cover in the footwell. With the screw removed the cover will become loose but u may not be able to remove it completely because the sill cover is holding it in place with a small hook type connecter.
    Place ur fingers under the edge of the sill cover( fingers on the inside of the car ) and pull them upwards gently. They are held down in place with snap clips and will come off with the right amount of force. Dont be scared to give them a good firm pull but do use ur common sense.
    Work ur way along towards the back of the car and u will be able to lift the sill cover up and out of the way. It is held in at the back in the same way as the front ie same hook type fastening.
    Tuck the cable down as far as u can so that the carpet doesnt stick up on the edge or ur sill cover wont go back on properly.
    Refit the sill cover starting at the back first making sure u engage the hook fastening correctly. If any of the white fasteners are still in the sill on the car instead of the plastic cover then simply remove them with a pair of needle nose pliers without damaging them.
    I hope this has clarified the situation for u. If u still not sure then get back to me.

Oh with regards to the battery going flat i think its pretty normal with the stereo on. It doesnt take long for after market systems to kill the battery. I did it twice on mine and all i do know is make sure that i remove the key fron the ignition even when i turn the stereo off. Apparently power is not switched off to certain items unless the key is fully removed.

check my little wiring cluster out ..

10. Mo-S3

Mo-S3 Member

11. PaulRS3

PaulRS3 Well-Known Member

[Aug 3, 2003]
    Hi Phill.

I can also vouch for the car audio direct/ oxford car audio lads. I have spent ££££'s with them over the years with friends family and my own systems.

pop in the shop and speak to the lads, im sure Colin can get his install guys to give you some tips.

nice to see someone else from Oxon.

12. phillj

phillj Member

[Aug 4, 2003]
    Hi guys,

Thank you for the help so far. I have pretty much got it sorted now, however I have not been able to get the back side panel off. I tried following the instrctions on the"CD Changer cable" thread in the Ice forum, however I think I pulled a little to hard and this clip came off (unfortunatly the panel didn't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) [​IMG]

I have for the time being tucked the cable under the panel as much as possible, so it is installed in the correct place. i would quite like to do it properly though and remove the panel and also stick the clip back (What type of glue would anyone recommend for this?).

Thanks for all the help so far. You guys are great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

P.s. It is good to see other people from Oxon too. Who else live in/near Oxfordshire?
  13. Mo-S3

Mo-S3 Member

[Aug 4, 2003]
    Phill, i would serioulsy advise against trying to remove that side panel, its a biyaaatch to get off without breaking more clips. But if u want to then go ahead by all means.
    Fold the seat back down and remove the small screw on the wheel arch and then work ur way around pulling the panel towards urself at the points where u find the most resistance.
    Any clip that has broken off can be glued back with a 2 part epoxy resin making sure u key the smooth surfaces first.
    I fitted my DAB unit behind that panel and i know how much of a pain it is to remove. Audi's designers didnt intend for that panel to be removed with ease.

P.S i cant really make out the picture of the clip very well coz it doesnt look like one the ones that hold the panel on.

Cheers
  14. phillj

phillj Member

[Aug 5, 2003]
    Hi noodle,

The Music keg lead needs to be plugged into the back of the head unit. It does have a pair of RCA pre outs, however you would need to connect it to the back of the head unit for power. The best thing to do for your house would be to plug your pc into your stereo (if it has RCA's or another form of input). I agree, mp3 players are great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif I have about 100 albumns in the car at the moment on one 10gb cartridge. They are going to be selling a 40gb one aswell soon.

Kind regards,

Phill