1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help identifying this noise

chrisred Sep 21, 2013

1. chrisred

chrisred New Member

S3 with just over 40k on, recently had a service + cam belt change but this noise was happening before.

A local independent doesn't know what it is, any ideas before I take it to the stealers?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2188610/Video 14-09-2013 13 54 07.mov

It's more noticeable towards the end after switching off the engine.

Any help appreciated ;)

Cheers

2. Chillout

Chillout Active Member

Sounds like your pcv unless it's your aux belt I would go pcv

chrisred likes this.
  3. chrisred

chrisred New Member

Thanks for your reply. It seems to happen more once the car is warmed up, is more obvious when decelerating / coming to a standstill and mostly seems to happen when turning off the ignition after using the car for a while.

After Googling a bit more I can't find any videos showing the same noise but plenty pointing to similar issues so will give it a try, Cheers!

4. chrisred

chrisred New Member

So the dealers want £140 per hour for investigation and the same again for repair, so am looking at £300 before I've even started for a niggle (it's a bit noisy but doesn't seem to be affecting performance currently)

I've uploaded another video, note the 3 clicks after the whining noise finishes? This also happens quite often so am wondering does this also point to the PCV being faulty?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5f7b4m8agur3by8/IMG_1500.MOV

I've put it into a (non audi) Indie who couldn't resolve the issue at the same time as the service/cam but if it's likely the PCV I could ask them to go ahead and replace it.

Any help appreciated.
    Cheers

5. Artimus

Artimus Shortback

I'd guess the whining is a pressure leak whistle, and the 3 clicks are over run (timing\fuel issue caused by the pressure leak - maybe the turbo manifold gasket). £300 is too steep & I'd have thought any Indy worth using would be able to find & fix the fault without too much difficulty! A 2ft piece of garden hose makes a great stethoscope.

Try taking it to someone else. Where are you located?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013